tcp timeouts?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/tcp timeouts?

Andy UK(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all, when sending data to a client, if the clients connection is slow i notice my server app pauses for a long time. Lets say the data needs to be sent at a minimum rate and any client that cant keep up needs to be diconnected, would i use tcp timeouts? i tried this but the client kept reading and the server was almost unresponsive. Basically, i need someone to explain tcp timeouts or how i can get around this problem. thanx

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
I think this is a problem with TCP in blitz. It will hang unless their is a response i beleive. I used UDP with reliable packets, but i also used the RottNet network library from the toolbox. You can send packets marked reliable, which will definetly be delieved. Problem is, you'll have to sort out the order in which they get received, as they sometimes arrive out of place.

No big deal though, just timestamp each packet with Millisecs() :o)

Andy UK(Posted 2005) [#3]
thanx for that, i still need to sort some kind of keep alive system to see if a client still exists as ill be handling multiple connections

Andy UK(Posted 2005) [#4]
i might try something thats gonna sound silly but due to the ease of tcp and the fact it uses REAL streams, what if i was to send my own acknoledgments over tcp, would the pausing still happen?

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#5]
I honestly don't know... Even crazier, how about sending a UDP packet for an acknowledgment?