GUI comparison

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/GUI comparison

GQ(Posted 2005) [#1]
Stumped with the gui thing...
Which gui uses single surface?
I plan to use it for a game HUD.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#2]
I don't know about other GUI's, but if you use a single surface for everything then you're limited to one small texture for everything, and one transparency for everything. And that's just totally uneccessary.

My own system uses fonts which CAN be single surface, but don't HAVE to be. Why would you want more than one surface? Because you might want to use textues which are 256x256 so as to maintain compatability with older cards. And if you do that with only one surface/one texture, then you'd be limited to very small fonts or very blurry fonts. So my system allows you to split fonts across multiple textures if you wish. And each text object you create... a line of text, or a pargraph of text for example, that would have no more surfaces than the number of textures you decided to use for your font.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#3]
sswifts is very good... If I were going to use it for a HUD it should probably shine... also there is ALPHAgui but I have trouble understanding some of that code. FUI looks like it would do what you want as well...

Why don't you check out the toolbox and download a few demos and see how easy it is to work with the code using what you intend to do.

GQ(Posted 2005) [#4]
thanks, sswift for the info.
I guess what I meant was 3d functions vs 2d functions.
From what I understand, 2d functions do all sorts of
unpredictable things across different hardware.
Also, they tend to be slow... or I could be wrong.

rook, I've already tested alphagui and I had portability
problems with it... I hear that blitzgui is good -- but
is using 2d functions -- so, I might avoid that as well.