Whats the meaning

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Whats the meaning

cr(Posted 2005) [#1]

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#2]
If you turn on the debugging Mode in the menu of the editor, it will give you a more detailed error message. "Memory Access Violation" is the standard error message when Debug is off.

cr(Posted 2005) [#3]

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#4]
What message did you get with Debug turned on?

sswift(Posted 2005) [#5]
"why is it giving me that measage
Its obviously that 1.90 still needs alittle work"

No, it's obvious that you have a bug in your program. :-)

A memory access violation most often occurs when you pass a variable to a function in Blitz which does not contain a valid pointer to an entity, mesh, brush, texture or whatever object it is that function is designed to deal with.

For example, this program might throw up a memory access violation:

sphere = createsphere()
positionentity mysphere, 10, 10, 10

See how I have accidentally used the variable mysphere instead of sphere? Sphere contains the pointer to the sphere, but mysphere is a new variable and just contains the value 0.

This too might cause such an error:
sphere# = createsphere()
positionentity sphere#, 10, 10, 10

Here, I am using a floating point variable to store a pointer/handle to the sphere. That is a no-no. Floating point variables are not designed for holding pointers.

Often, if you turn on debug mode, then when you get that error, the program will stop and bring up the debug window with the line that cuased the error highlighted.

I have been using Blitz for years. It has been my experience that 99% of the time, a crash is caused by an error in your programming, and not a bug in Blitz.

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#6]
It could be that you misspelled a resource name from an external source, used to get that alot.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#7]
Is this a prank?

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#8]
There's no CreateDoom3Beater() command in the lastest version - I want a refund dammit >:(

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#9]

Sometimes i run a project

Memory access violation

Whats going on

why is it giving me that measage
Its obviously that 1.90 still needs alittle work

thanks

I think you need to work on your programming skills a little. Try actually reading the documentation before trying to code anything. Looking at your post history is very funny reading. You seem to spend a lot of time on these forums complaining without actually producing anything constructive.

Previous cr posts

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#10]
Checking those previous posts and cr never seems to 'finish' the thread.
Cr, it'd be nice to know if/how you solved this.

GfK(Posted 2005) [#11]
I think you need to work on your programming skills a little
Looking at the 'tone of voice' in the two threads he's started, I think his people skills are more in need of attention...

Lane(Posted 2005) [#12]
Helloooooo!!! we're programmers. I think we ALL could use a little help in the people skills department..

I suspect english is his second language and he hasn't nearly mastered it.
His posts in my opinion are reeking of frustration. I can sympathise.
CR stick with it, and stop your moaning.
Yes I know the example code mostly sucks. and the internet / updated version is mostly not any better, though with this community I expected better.

Ask nicely and people will take time from their own projects to help you learn the B3D way.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#13]
why is it giving me that measage
Its obviously that 1.90 still needs alittle work
It's OBVIOUS that you don't know what you are talking about.

Stop blaming the language.
We are here to help, but stop blaming the language...

cr(Posted 2005) [#14]

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#15]
I have heard that blitz3d is only a programming language true or False
Of course it is only a programming language. You have it don't you?!
What else did you expect it to be?

Sorry I can't help you with the level editer bit since I haven't messed with 3d level design much yet.

Nicstt(Posted 2005) [#16]
I have heard that blitz3d is only a programming language true or False

mine makes coffee, pretty good too:p