Any Ideas For a Simple Game?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Any Ideas For a Simple Game?

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#1]
Okay, I've tried, and I've tried, and I figured out that I'm trying to do things I'm just not capable of yet. I'm expecting too much of myself and can't think of a simple game I could make as my first B3D project. Could anyone just give me an idea of a pretty simple (but not TOO simple) project I could do? Maybe what you did as your first game?

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#2]
2D sprite-based game such as PacMan or Donkey Kong or such.

That would be a good start.

3D games often involve a lot more than the beginner is ready to undertake...

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#3]
I've already made a pretty good 2D game and understand that very well. I learned 2D before I even know about B3D. So now I'm looking for a simple 3D game I can try.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#4]
Well, if it's a 3D game you want to make, then why not try something like F-Zero? Hover cars are easy. Then you can make cool power-ups.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#5]
What about a FPS view Maze? Or 3d pacman?

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#6]
hmm... all good ideas. Thanks!!! I'll take more ideas if anyone has them. My main problem is graphics. I can't make 2d sprites or 3d models for beans and it's really hard to find just what you want that someone's already made. Especially people.

For a racing game (F-Zero) would you just use waypoints for the AI?

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#7]
and it's really hard to find just what you want that someone's already made. Especially people.
That's because they are copyrighted. Create or buy your own game objects.

If it's for a hobby, then polished graphics aren't a big deal. If it's for a business venture, then purchasing quality graphics is an investment.

For a racing game (F-Zero) would you just use waypoints for the AI?
Yeah, I suppose. You might have to differentiate between waypoints that are part of a curve as opposed to ones that are part of a straight-away.

Pongo(Posted 2005) [#8]
I would suggest not trying to make a game right away, but instead make a few simple programs to learn how to do things. First, learn how to move an object on the screen, then make a second object that chases after the first one,... then add obstacles,... etc.

Another really helpful thing is to go through the command index,... go through each command one by one, and when you get to one you do not understand then write a small program to figure out how it works. After doing this, you will know the language much better, and it will help you make anything you wish.

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#9]
I've done alot of playing around and testing already. I guess It wouldn't hurt to do a little more. I'm just bored of the little stuff.

"If it's for a hobby, then polished graphics aren't a big deal"

Yea, it's for a hobby, but I don't want them to look too terrible :)

How do you make an animated person!? If you try to redraw them in a different position, the animation won't even match up.

So I guess it's not the actual coding part I'm having trouble with right now, it's just the graphics.

Lane(Posted 2005) [#10]
check out addictinggames.com
There's lots of some what interesting not so good but promising games there. You could re-engineer one and get quite a bit of experience doing it.

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#11]
Okay, I have a question about rotation. When you rotate an image, is it like in 3D where it will still go forward, so like, If I want something to rotate, but also go move in a new direction depending on how it's rotated, like in 3D? Or is it more complicated than that?

Gord(Posted 2005) [#12]
I got started by using the b3d demo that comes with Maplet, but with my own map designed in Maplet. I used the Ninja character downloaded from psionic( I think thats the name) It does all kinds of animation and is free.

Gord(Posted 2005) [#13]
I got started by using the b3d demo that comes with Maplet, but with my own map designed in Maplet. I used the Ninja character downloaded from psionic( I think thats the name) It does all kinds of animation and is free.

Gord(Posted 2005) [#14]