Trying to make a space world

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Trying to make a space world

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'm trying to make a space world for my 3D spaceshooter, but it looks terrible. Right now I used a skybox with a space type texture. Part of the problem may be that it's just a horrible texture. Anyone have any tips on how to make a nice looking space?

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#2]
I did a reasonable one yonks ago by spraypainting some stars onto a black background with a massive brush, then blurring over some dark blue/purple sweeps. You need a really decent texture size for the stars to look good.

There were some free examples (of lovely, complete sky-boxes) knocking around. Try the search facility.

(EDIT) There we go: http://www.octanedigitalstudios.com/page4.html

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#3]
What do you mean a black background. How do you make a background when your using 3d?

Matty(Posted 2005) [#4]
I think he means the 'background' of the texture that was used with the skybox.

RiverRatt(Posted 2005) [#5]
"What do you mean a black background. How do you make a background when your using 3d?"

You use a sphere, box, or half dome, scale it inside our by doing something like scaleentity sky,-1000,-1000,-1000

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#6]
something like scaleentity sky,-1000,-1000,-1000
Actually, there is no need to scale it that big. Just set it's EntityOrder to a positive number so that it's drawn first.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#7]
Wolron - I think you mean first.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#8]
If it's the backround, surely you want it drawn last :o)

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#9]
Okay, so I guess just what I was doing already, but with a better texture.

What I hate about skyboxes and skyspheres (unless theres some way to fix this) is that all the other objects aren't seen beyond it. They sort of melt throught it and it looks really fake.

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#10]

If it's the backround, surely you want it drawn last

In case you're serious, no, you (can) draw it first so everything else gets drawn on top of it, ensuring it looks like it's in the background.

What I hate about skyboxes and skyspheres (unless theres some way to fix this) is that all the other objects aren't seen beyond it. They sort of melt throught it and it looks really fake.

The above tip goes some way to avoiding that although you must take care with your level design as any part of the geometry that falls beyond the camera range will disappear, leaving an area of the skybox/sphere unduly exposed. There should be no line of sight within the level that spans beyond the camera range.

(Oh and yes, I was talking about creating the texture art in a paint program before.)

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#11]
Which is why you use EntityOrder 1 (or more) for the skybox...

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#12]
I tried EntityOrder on one of my older skyboxes, but it made a big black line that went around the bottom (the area between the sky and the ground) in the distance.