Cartoon grafix

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Cartoon grafix

LKFX(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all hows it going?

Is there a way to make blitz3d render cartoon style graphics?

I know you can do it with DarkBasic, for example XIII xbox game and far cry on pc use some sort of cartoon render system.

If so is it hard to do? and has anybody got any examples of it being done with blitz 3d, its for a FPS stlye game.

Thanks

XP/P4 - 3.2G/ 1 G Ram/Geforce FX5200/ 120hd
"Blame it on windows i do!"

P>S How could i put a picture Here?

sswift(Posted 2005) [#2]
http://www.seamlesstexturegenerator.com/misc/dtsmashtest.zip

This method uses shading maps so that you can ger really nice color shading, control where the shade changes, and do effects like metal shading.

It uses spherical maps so it will work on older cards.

But, it limits you to using an overhead light source, and not tilting the camera up and down.

To avoid that, you could apply the shading map to a sphere, point the top of the sphere towards the desired light source, flip the sphere so it is inside out, and then render a cubemap from inside the sphere with the sphere set to fullbright. Then you could use the cubemap instead of the spherical environment map, and the light would stay in the right direction no matter how you moved the camera around the obejct in question.

Feel free to use the source here.

Controls are arrow keys, I think page up and down, or maybe A and Z or plsu and minus.... Something zooms anyway. And 1 thru... 8 I think... for different textures.

LKFX(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks mate, looks hard to do though lol

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#4]
Theres some cel-shading in the code arcs by jfk thats
pretty good.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#5]
Cel Shading is the way to go... I would love to see that on BMax when the OGL and DX libs (upgrades?) are released!

Play(Posted 2008) [#6]
can someone reupload the file ?