Multiple textures on one mesh?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Multiple textures on one mesh?

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#1]
I made a texture for my building in Tattoo, but then I found out that it actually made 3 textures, one for each part of my building, even though it's all in one mesh. Is there a way I can put all these textures on my mesh correctly with blitz?

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#2]
yeah, if you are loading a multilayered b3d file you can

or if you are loading the textures manually use the texture layer indexes.(see textureentity in help)

Thats if you are after multilayering......

if y want to just put the texutres in the right places, just load the mesh and dont load and texture it manually. Otherwise you might need to look into uv mapping in a bit more depth.

Raitsun(Posted 2005) [#3]
I think Tatto gives you the ability to export meshes that have the texture information inside, doesn't it? In this case you don't have to texture it.

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#4]
It probably does, I havn't explored it much. I'm also wondering, well, here's an example: There is a texture that came in a tutorial for a ferrari. It's just all the sides of the ferrari on different parts of a picture, but how would someone who made it know where those parts would fit on the mesh? (I can show it to you but I don't know how to put images on a post)

P.S. Tattoo does have the texture information in the mesh :) I just tried it.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#5]
First of all, What are the forum codes?

Secondly, the image is aligned to the mesh through U,V coordinates. All vertices have X,Y,Z,U,V coordinates. X,Y,Z relate to position in space, while U,V relate to texture coordinates.

U and V are values between 0 and 1. 0 meaning leftmost or topmost part of the texture, and 1 meaning the rightmost or bottommost part of the texture. Numberse between 0 and 1 are, amazingly, somewhere in between the left and right or top and bottom of the texture.

Using 0 through 1 allows you to substitute any size image you want for the texture, and the U,V coordinates don't have to be customized for the size of the image.

You need to use a U,V texturing tool in order to get the U,V coordinates to correctly match your mesh. Many modelling programs come with U,V texturing tools.

The image you use for the texture doesn't even have to look like the 'real' image. Take for example the texture supplied with the missile model in the BAIT community project. It doesn't look anything like a missile, but if you load the model into a game or viewer, you will see that it's textured correctly.

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#6]
_

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#7]
wtf (sorry i submitted by mistake).... anyway, look out for a program called lithium uv, its free and real handy its a bit of a learning curve tho =)