3D Mode Help

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/3D Mode Help

Glink(Posted 2005) [#1]
I just got Blitz and i like it but i don't understand why it keeps telling me "3D mode is not working". I can't build terrain or anything. Sorry if i'm a little vague but i'm not to Blitz inclined yet.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#2]
Could this be your problem:?

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=45254

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yes, please tell us about your hardware. It may be the same Intel Problem WolRon mentioned, or maybe your system is kind of old, so it won't support Direct3D. You can test this when you run DXDIAG.EXE from the "Start>Run Program" Menu.

Glink(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks but windows cannot find DXDIAG.EXE. Any other ideas.

Glink(Posted 2005) [#5]
By the by, does anyone know what an illegal memory address is. i got that message when i tried to run a copy paste version of the 3d rocket tutorial.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#6]
What OS are you running? When abouts did you purchase your computer. Sounds like your running windows 95 with the absence of that program.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#7]
Thanks but windows cannot find DXDIAG.EXE. Any other ideas.
Then that's your problem. You need DirectX 7.

Glink(Posted 2005) [#8]
What is os and i am running windows XP. Computer was perchased Aug of 2003. How do i see what Direct X i have.

Glink(Posted 2005) [#9]
i searched my PC and found that i have DirectX9. Does it absolutly have to be 7 or can it be higher.

Thanks

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#10]
Could it be this here
What graphics card are you using?

Glink(Posted 2005) [#11]
Thank You tonyg that was it with one exception): Now it tells me i have an "illegal memory access" where i used to have the "3d mode" message. One last hurdle

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#12]
could this be the 8bit vs 24bit toolbar bitmap thingy?

try copying these bitmaps into Blitz3D\cfg (backup your old ones first just to be safe).

Glink(Posted 2005) [#13]
once again confused. what is a cfg and is Blitr3D different from blitz3D. how do i do it. it won't let me copy them into a doc. otherwise i don't know where to place them

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#14]
cfg is a folder in your Blitz3D install directory.
(the default I believe is c:\Program Files\Blitz3D )
use winzip or a similar program to extract the files to that directory.

Glink(Posted 2005) [#15]
Ok perturbatio, i took the icons and dragged them into the cfg file. they stand alone in that folder along with files such as bin and uninstall and samples and still no dice. Anything else?

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#16]
I should just shut up sometimes, this is one of those times.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#17]
"illegal memory access" is the standard error message as long as you have turned off the debugging mode. Turn it on (in the Menu: Program > Debug enabled ) and you'll get a more informative message. Probably something's wrong with your code, or a typo or somthing. ALso make sure to update your Version of Blitz when you want to use the sources from the code archives, most of them require one of the latest versions of blitz3d.

Glink(Posted 2005) [#18]
PositionEntity rocket,0,0,7 does not exist is the new message i recieve. This is obviously in the rocket tutorial in the 3d tutorials.(the one after the cube). Getting Closer. this is the whole code:

Graphics3D 800,600

SetBuffer BackBuffer()

camera=CreateCamera()
CameraViewport camera,0,0,800,600

light=CreateLight()

rocket=LoadMesh( "rocket.3ds" )
PositionEntity rocket,0,0,7

While Not KeyHit(1)

If KeyDown(200) Then
MoveEntity rocket,0,0.05,0
EndIf

If KeyDown(203) Then
TurnEntity rocket,0,0,1.0
EndIf

If KeyDown(205) Then
TurnEntity rocket,0,0,-1.0
EndIf

UpdateWorld
RenderWorld

Text 320,500,"Movement & Rotation"

Flip

Wend
End

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#19]
that would suggest that rocket.3ds is not in the same directory as the .bb file

Glink(Posted 2005) [#20]
NOTE: You will need to have the object ROCKET.3DS in the same directory as the sourcecode for Blitz to find it. This message appears above the code.(how stupid am i) I assume that this is what perturbatio is talking about, but i don't know how to put ROCKET.3DS in a directory.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#21]
Use windows explorer to put it in there.

Glink(Posted 2005) [#22]
what? what am i putting, where am i putting it, and what is windows explorer.

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#23]
Windows explorer is just the regular windows that come up when you open a folder or something. Just open the folder where ROCKET.3DS is and open the folder where the .bb file is and move the ROCKET.3DS file into that folder.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#24]
If you don't know how to move/edit files and folders, you will be lost as a programmer...

Time to learn.

Glink(Posted 2005) [#25]
Ok, i said that kind of wierd didn't i. i don't know where the rocket.3ds and .bb files are. do i have to create them. Literally all i did was put the code above into a doc and hit run.

Glink(Posted 2005) [#26]
THE SAGA IS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to all of you i have sucessfully trouble shot my problem. It was being caused due to my less than smart codes. I put things in wrong places and messed stuff up royally. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Glink