Is IDE.exe part of Blitz?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Is IDE.exe part of Blitz?

WarpZone(Posted 2005) [#1]
The noob was messing around with Blitz, and got impatient, and ended up double-clicking a *.bb file 2 or 3 times when the blitz editor wouldn't open up immediately. His system resources all got ate up and he found his computer chugging slowly. CTRL+ALT+DEL revealed that two instances of ide.exe were the culprit, so before terminating these processes, he looked them up online to see if they were perhaps fundamental parts of his operating system, or known viruses, before he went interrupting their greedy processes.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.assasin.f.html

That's what this pitiful noob found. Now, upon searching his computer's hard drive, it looks like the only instance of ide.exe anywhere on his computer is in the C:\Blitz3D\bin directory. Before taking rash actions such as deleting this file, he felt it prudent to check with the fine minds of the Blitz community, just in case ide.exe is actually a normal part of Blitz Basic 3D and the trojian virus payload ide.exe is just another exe that happens to have the same name as this part of Blitz.

The file in question is 452kb in size, and appears to have been modified last on the same day that I installed Blitz, though the noob has heard that sneaky programs are capable of forging these details.

So. Can anyone help the noob figure out if this file be friend or foe? The noob would certianly appreciate it.

Thanks. :)

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#2]
ide.exe is the Blitz IDE.
It is located in the bin directory (along with blitzcc.exe and some .dll's).
It is 452KB (462,848 bytes).
When Blitz3D.exe is run, a process called ide.exe is started and takes up 8,588K memory.

Note that my version of Blitz is 1.87.

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#3]
For the record... IDE is an acronym of Integrated Development Environment - a standard tool for many programming languages. Naturally a virus writer would choose to name their sneaky code to something useful to hide it on a system. If you find an ide.exe in the folders of a programming language you have installed it is reasonably likely to be legitimate.

... But better safe than sorry - use some anti-virus software to check your system on a regular basis.

HappyCat(Posted 2005) [#4]
WarpZone - I get the same thing - double-clicking a .bb file that associated with Blitz doesn't open the IDE, but ide.exe is in Task Manager taking up lots of CPU time. Dunno what the problem is but I now just open Blitz first and then load the file.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#5]
HappyCat. I had a problem like this a while ago. I found that it was a seperate process (or bunch of processes) related to my printer software/drivers that was causing the problem.

After doing a test and disabling some things on startup (in the system configuration utility), I discovered the culprits.

the ones I disabled were:
hpqcmon
hpsysdrv
hpgs2wnd
hp center
hp psc 1000 series
hpoddt01.exe

HappyCat(Posted 2005) [#6]
I don't have any of that in my startup - although I do have HP printer drivers installed (which I presume that's all related to) and a lot of other stuff in startup (it's my work PC - I wouldn't have all that there on my home PC :-)

Not too fussed anyway - I now use Protean and it loads okay when I double-click on a file :-)

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#7]
Except that the problem I had also affected certain other programs as well. Your case may be the same...

HappyCat(Posted 2005) [#8]
Might be - haven't noticed anything else - all the stuff I use seems to work okay.

Besides, PCs are so damn complex these days you can never really tell what's a "problem" and what's just buggy software anyway.

WarpZone(Posted 2005) [#9]
Yeah, and technically Windows is just a virus cleverly disguised as an operating system. :P

Thanks, guys. :) I'll open Blitz and load the *.bb files manually from now on. After a reboot, Blitz seems to work just fine.

Thansk! :D