Help Me please.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Help Me please.

Yoshi(Posted 2005) [#1]
Question guys,Is there any books or anything that will teach me how to code in blitz 3D. What is the language called, Blitz Basic? Any reccomendations or websites that will help me out I am a TOTAL noob and dont know where to start.

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#2]
There are no current books that me or Blitz Research knows of (I already asked them) but I just downloaded a really good tutorial from someones post in the Blitz3D tutorials section. Click on Blitz3D Beginners Tutorials by Ray Diaz and download both the downloads. One is the tutorials, and one is all the media for it. It's a series of "chapters" that eventually form a complete game. I'm a complete noob to Blitz3D too, but I read a book on the old Blitz2D. But anyways, this tutorial helped me out a ton.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#3]
Check out my Programming Tutorial!

Unfortunately, it's far from finished, but if people such as yourself bug me enough, I will continue to add to it...

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#4]
Any use?:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1592000681/002-8183983-5846448?v=glance

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#5]
That's the book I read! It was really good. IT has nothing for 3d though (although that might be a newer version) but mine didn't.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#6]
Just a note... Forum thread topics should be more "topical" than ""Help me please!"" something along the lines of what your question IS not just a cry for help...

Tobo(Posted 2005) [#7]
WolRon,

BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG

I loved your tutorials

BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG

Tobo

Lane(Posted 2005) [#8]
Yoshi,
Go through every command in the command refrence and read what it does, even if you don't quite understand what it is for.
Once you understand a couple, others will make sense in refrence to those ones. Etc Etc.
Then go to the code library section of these forums and find a simple program that seems interesting. (This is key,.. it must spark your interest or you won't be motivated to tear into it.).
Run it, change it, run it, Modify it, break it, fix it.
The process of programming is more than just creating.
You have to learn a new language to describe what it is you want done.
This will take some time.
Don't expect to be able to absorb it all at once. Keep at it and it will pay off.

My favorite moments in programming are the "AhhHaa" moments.
The the solution suddenly slapps you right between the eyes.

When this happens to me, I have usually been working long and hard trying to make something work. I read, experiment, re-read, retry the code, get to tired, go to bed and dream the solution. IE when I wake up the answer is just there and I know I should have seen it before but apparently I was trying too hard. In the beginning I was just too frustrated to keep working on the same problem.
Now I have the wizdom to know when I am no longer making any headway, and have explored the problem from enough angles to be confident that the answer will come to me.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#9]
there used to be good tutorial stuff on the blitzcoder site, don't know what happened to those after BC shut down.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#10]
the blitzcoder articles are actually still there (for now):
http://www.blitzcoder.com/articles.shtml

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#11]
Good advice Lane...
Yoshi I was in a really bad mood when I sniped at you. Sorry.