Install error

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Install error

GuoQiang(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have just purchased a Blitz3D, when I installing it happend an error:
Cannot open file c:\Program Files\Blitz3D\sample\Bob_Pearmain\letters\?3ds

why????

Floyd(Posted 2005) [#2]
I don't know why the installation failed. The files are for one of the sample programs.

They are 3D models of the alphabet: a.3ds, b.3ds, c.3ds etc.

GuoQiang(Posted 2005) [#3]
when happend that error, install program will abort...
I don't understand.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#4]
..hmm...weird error...did you experiance any problems during downloading installation..eg. some tipe gap while you downloading install file??

GuoQiang(Posted 2005) [#5]
no problem.
Now I will download install file again...
then try again...

GuoQiang(Posted 2005) [#6]
when I install again, it happend that error still.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#7]
pretty weird..try to install on to drive D if you have it..

GuoQiang(Posted 2005) [#8]
I have just try to install on to drive D, it happend that same error still.

marksibly(Posted 2005) [#9]
Hi,

Very weird!

* What's the name of the setup program (eg: Blitz3DSetup164.exe)?

* What OS are you running?

GuoQiang(Posted 2005) [#10]
setup program: Blitz3DSetup164.exe

marksibly(Posted 2005) [#11]
Hi,

Okay, this is a new one on me - but I've just talked to someone about it and apparently it has happened before.

Are you running some kind of non-English version of Windows? My guess is that the filesystem is choking over the filename of one of the install files.

Although there's no "?3ds" file in there, there are a couple of pretty suspect filenames, eg: '(C).3ds' and others.

I can remove these and send you a new setup program to try. If you'd like to do this, please contact me at marksibly@....

If not, please feel free to contact shareit for a refund. But I'm pretty sure removing those suspect files will fix it!

GuoQiang(Posted 2005) [#12]
ok, I have just email to you, I need a new setup files.
Also, can I upgrade or use on non-English version of windows normally in the future?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#13]
Yes, I think the updates will not re-install the examples that seem to be the reason for the error. (Anyway. "?" would be an illegal character in a filename since it's a wildcard.)

GuoQiang(Posted 2005) [#14]
I didn't get any new setup file still.

Yan(Posted 2005) [#15]
Blimey...Give the man a chance. It's been less than 24 hours since your initial post! 8oO

GfK(Posted 2005) [#16]
This is a compatibility issue between the installer and the Chinese (and Japanese, and Korean also, if memory serves) version of Windows.

Can't remember how to fix it. I know there's a way but its been a while since I heard of this problem. Thought it had been sorted.

[edit] er... what mark said. :)

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#17]
Seems to be an issue with the characterset used in the asian language version of Windows as it writes english characters. My wifes brother lives in ChengDu and writes to her email using his computer. She runs a US version of Win2K and his is WinME Chinese. Some of the characters still look weird though he is writing english.

I have no specific examples but it seems to be mostly the punctuation and specific " ' and ?... maybe a few more.

I suspect adhering to the old 7+3 would be a pretty big help in the future... OR having no spaces in file or directory names...

popcade(Posted 2005) [#18]
Simply Use "MS AppLocale", set the locale to English, launch the installer, and it will work.