How many polys?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/How many polys?

Maximus Primal(Posted 2005) [#1]
Does Blitz3D have a limit to the amount of polygons it can handle? I know that a faster machine will be able to technically handle more, but is there a finite limit?

I want to be able to use some of my models in the game I am trying to work on but they are all VERY high poly count models and even dropping the count right down you would be looking at about 1000 per model.

So in total I want to shift 10000+ polys in the game. I just want to make sure Blitz will let me and then worry about getting the PC to handle it afterwards.

Thanks

Max

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
My computer can handle 500,000 odd polys before it restarts :o). 10,000 is easily handled :o)

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#3]
you should be able to handle 10,000 no worries without optimization lots of picks and collision. I usualy try to keep within the 30,000 - 40,000 per frame.

Even with 40,000 polys, 8 ODE physics vehicles, sophisticated AI and quite a few brushes my current project will run at 40 - 80 FPS on a 1.2ghz athlon and 32mb geforce2 GTS.
Quite a lot of optimization was done in this instance, both coding and graphics side.

Most of the strain is on the CPU in this instance thanks to the old ODE and a ton of other stuff going on. Your CPU will also determine how many surfaces you can reasonably expect to have in your scene. with a pentium2 400mhz I try and stay between 20 - 50. More than 20 though, and you start to notice slowdown. 1ghz and up you can multiply the number considerably.

My game that currently runs at 40-80 FPS on the P2, on my newer Athlon64 3200+ with a geforce 3 64mb will run at up to 211 FPS.

My current partners athlonXP 2600+ with geforce 6800 hits 300 FPS.

Maximus Primal(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks guys. Well I am running on a 3Gig P4 with a Geforce3 Ti200 gfx card. So I am not running on a weak computer by any stretch.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to over do it too soon, at least I know that I should be able to use better models (as in higher poly count) later on, once I get the main bones into place and working right.

What is an ODE btw?

Max

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#5]
ODE is a physics library. The one were current using is old and slow compared to the newer version that Jedive recently wrote a blitz wrapper for.

http://ode.org/

Maximus Primal(Posted 2005) [#6]
There seems to be about 10-20 diffrent files there. Which one do I need and where do I get this "Blitz Wrapper"? Sorry to go off topic...

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#7]
I thought surfaces was a graphics card issue, as it stalls each time a new surface is sent through.