(very) simple ai

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/(very) simple ai

po(Posted 2005) [#1]
In my 3D world, I have a bunch of cubes, and I want a sphere to move around this world.
Basically what I want to know is how to make the sphere turn right or left randomly.
This is what i've got:
MoveEntity player,0,0,0.1

If EntityCollided(player,walltype) Then
TurnEntity player,0,3,0 
EndIf

This has the sphere always moving forward, and when it runs into a wall, it keeps turning left until it's not touching the wall anymore. But this code will make him go in 'circles' because it is only turning left, and I want to make it randomly choose to go left or right when it hits the wall. I've tried randomly choosing a number from 1 to 2, but because it is held against a wall, it chooses a number too many times and causes it to just 'jitter' in one place.
Can someone help me out?

-Thanks

SoggyP(Posted 2005) [#2]
Greetings Puppies,

Move the player back to it's previous position before turning so the collision doesn't keep happening.

Peace,

Jes

po(Posted 2005) [#3]
But if the player stops touching the wall, it will stop turning...

SoggyP(Posted 2005) [#4]
Greetings Puppies,

Well, when it hits the wall, set a flag to say 'You've hit a Wall, step back, sit and swivel(until rotated, then unset the flag).'

Peace,

Jes

po(Posted 2005) [#5]
That would work, but how do I rotate it until it reaches a 90 degree point?

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#6]
I wouldn't do it that way. I'd maintain a variable that kept track of the turning direction, which would be either 0,1 or -1. If the sphere hits a wall while that variable equals zero then you know to set it to either -1 or 1 randomly; If the sphere does not hit any wall then you know to set it to 0; If the sphere hits a wall and it's already a non-zero value then you know to maintain that value. Result: The sphere will start to turn in a random direction when it collides with a wall and keep turning in that direction until it eventually moves away on a new heading.

po(Posted 2005) [#7]
It works now, thanks!
Like this:
        MoveEntity player,0,0,0.1

TurnEntity player,0,turn,0

If EntityCollided(player,walltype) Then

If turn=0 Then num=Rnd(1,2)
		If num=1 Then turn=3 
		If num=2 Then turn=-3

Else

turn=0	

EndIf