Games slowdown on other computers

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Games slowdown on other computers

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#1]
I am burning my games for some people, but their computers run it really slow. Some of there computers are even faster than mine, but they still run the game slow. It is a 2D spaceshooter. Why would this be happening if there computer is faster than mine, but mine runs it faster???

GfK(Posted 2005) [#2]
There's more to good frame rate than CPU speed; type of graphics card (integrated ones = bad), amount of video ram, amount of system ram, hard drive speed (for cacheing)....

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#3]
So it's not the way I coded it or the fact that it was made on this specific computer? Because it's coded kinda messy, although I fixed most of it

GfK(Posted 2005) [#4]
So it's not the way I coded it
I don't know - haven't seen the code.

Post a demo in showcase forum if you want people to test it.

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#5]
No, it's too embarrasing cuz it sucks.

Ice9(Posted 2005) [#6]
spyware, viruses, antivirus, trojans, addware all
slow a computer down.

GfK(Posted 2005) [#7]
Just post it. I (and a few others) have been here for nearly 5 years - your game can't possibly be the worse we've ever seen. :)

Matty(Posted 2005) [#8]
You haven't by any chance left 'debug mode' on when compiling your program?

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#9]

Just post it. I (and a few others) have been here for nearly 5 years - your game can't possibly be the worse we've ever seen. :)

Heh, yep ... I remember my stuff 4 - 5 years ago boy did it blow chunks. And yet, just last week Aerial Antics was on TV showcased as one of 15 Independent games on Cinematech.

The only way to get better is to learn. In this instance letting people in the know look at your code could help you a ton! Everyone here started out making code they wouldn't want their grandmother to see ... it's ok we understand! Post, learn, and get better.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#10]

hah, almost everyone thinks their code sucks organisation wise. Mines pretty bad but when i post it, Ive actually been complimented on it.

A current project of mine, the code is in such a state, its taken me almost a week just to get it to clear/restart correctly :D

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#11]
Monitor refresh rate is a possibility. If your game is just sync'd to the monitor refresh rate and they have a slow refresh, your game will run slower.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#12]

your game can't possibly be the worse we've ever seen

No... this is... :)

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#13]
@Malice:

This is a thread about possible slowdown effects... not pimping your own products ;-)

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#14]
Don't worry I figured it out. It runs faster if they copy it off the CD first, and then play it instead of running it off the cd

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#15]
Are you using any TEXT commands in your game? Some video cards (NVidia ones usually) run extremely poorly when TEXT commands are used.

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#16]
No I am not using TEXT.

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#17]

It runs faster if they copy it off the CD first

Please don't be continually loading media, of which this is a symptom. If you really don't think you can post your code then at least double check that nothing gets loaded in the main loop.

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#18]
Oh, that could be a problem... I'll check on that.

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#19]
Oh, that is the problem!!!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#20]
Never do this:

while not keydown(1)
img=loadimage(huge.bmp)

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#21]
Yea, that's exactly what I was doing. But I fixed it.