Creating a realistic, pitch shifting engine noise

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Creating a realistic, pitch shifting engine noise

Caff(Posted 2005) [#1]
How does one go about creating a realistic sounding, pitch shifting engine noise? I can think of multiple ways, I'm just wondering before I start down each route what people think.

I'd like to lay down something simple first, then maybe switch to a gear-shifting sample later (if it sounds better, which I reckon it will).

big10p(Posted 2005) [#2]
There's always the SoundPitch and ChannelPitch commands for this type of thing, I guess.

P.S. I would pay good money to punch that guy in your sig, squarely in the face. I'm starting to actually hear that fricking cowbell, now. It's the gif equivalent of "I know a song that'll get on your nerves...". Please make it stop! :P

sswift(Posted 2005) [#3]
Big10:
Have you seen that Saturday Night Live skit? It's pretty famous. :-)

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#4]
Antony did outstanding sound stuff in FMC. The pitch was linked to the hover vehicle physics model, and had a per entity reverb effect (not sure what you call it when the noise bounces off of other objects on a per entity basis.

Was fantastic and added a lot to the feel of the controls and game.

DH(Posted 2005) [#5]
well, just dont try to loop a sound and change its pitch as its looping.. blitz creates little 'sound artifacts' that you will hear :-(

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#6]

Antony did outstanding sound stuff in FMC. The pitch was linked to the hover vehicle physics model, and had a per entity reverb effect (not sure what you call it when the noise bounces off of other objects on a per entity basis.

*evil grin* been playing with that, [edit] sorry... secret i want to keep here....

well, just dont try to loop a sound and change its pitch as its looping.. blitz creates little 'sound artifacts' that you will hear :-(

Not if you do it right and use the proper tools. At least, my engine didnt do it?

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#7]
Do a few other things also -

1. half the volume if the player is off the throttle, if possible play seperate ON and OFF-POWER engine soundfxs. The ON-POWER sfx should be harsher and more powerful.

2. introduce a volume drop when changing gear, so it sounds like a lift - drop the volume to 1/4 or something, then ramp it back up in the new gear.

3. rev the engine slightly higher in each gear than the previous one - shift the pitch range so it plays a bit further up the pitch scale in each gear.

4. Add a wind noise and ramp the volume dep. upon speed.

5. add a transmission whine volume dep. upon in-gear speed.

Caff(Posted 2005) [#8]
That's some good tips, thanks Vorderman.

I don't think comments like:
*evil grin* been playing with that, [edit] sorry... secret i want to keep here....

...either help me or others attempting to learn different techniques.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#9]
I need to test it works first. its as Vorderman states above, but i have some sweet code to create.I Beleive you need to play the pitch LOWER in each gear though??????

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#10]
No, the engine pitch is totally about revs.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#11]
Have you seen that Saturday Night Live skit? It's pretty famous. :-)

What skit is that? We don't get Saturday Night Live in the UK, not without cable/satellite, anyway. :)

Caff(Posted 2005) [#12]
Is King Kong more acceptable than the cowbell guy?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#13]
Much better! :) You do know I made that rant with tongue firmly in cheek, right?

Hmmm, the twisted thing is, I think I'm actually starting to miss the manic, cowbell bashing dude, now. :O *joking*

sswift(Posted 2005) [#14]
Here is the SNL skit... You gotta see it if you haven't. :-)

http://homepage.mac.com/kellydean/Music/iMovieTheater34.html

big10p(Posted 2005) [#15]
Ah, yes. I didn't watch the vid as I haven't got broadband, but as soon as I read it has Christopher Walken in it, I remembered I've seen it. They showed it over here on 'Comic Relief Red Nose Day' - a TV charity event. Very funny! :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#16]
god damn, I posted, right after Rob's last post. Where is it?? >.<

I even went into detail about how i do things with the car engine :/

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#17]
And heres that technique i played with. Seems to work just dandy :D

1) Play a wind sound effect looped, but silent.
2) From the sides of the moving object (the camera really...),
linepick outwards.
3) Use the results to PAN the sound according to the camera, and use
the distance between the camera and picked co-ordinates to alter the
volume and pitch.
4) Increase the volume and pitch of the fx as the camera moves faster.

This could be used to do a left/right/up/down check to get a more
acurate representation and use a pivot to position the sound using 3d
commands..