I'm new. HELP!!!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/I'm new. HELP!!!

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have a few questions. 1. What is a good FREE 3D modeling program?
2. I'm making a 3D plane fighting game, but I have two problems.
I can't find a good way to make it so that my missiles will shoot from my planes coordinates at any time,because my plane has no coordinates. I just use MoveEntity and TurnEntity, but I don't know how to tell the missiles those coordinates.

Also, I need my camera to follow my plane, which it does, but sort of in a wobbly way where the plane zooms in and out. What is the best way to make a camera follow a plane(or anything)?

I'm also having trouble with collisions, but I'll probably figure that out, unless you want to help :)

SoggyP(Posted 2005) [#2]
Greetings Puppies,

Welcome! Be prepared to be helped and confused, supported and mocked in equal measure. That seems to be the nature of this site.

First off, look at the tools forum.

Second, investigate Types and their use to allow you to record any information you want about any objects and entities you create. Be prepared to do the housekeeping, as it were, because Blitz is too busy doing the difficult stuff :0)

Finally, search the forums for both camera and collision routines. You'll find there are ample resources and guides to at least get you started.

Not much help but it's about all I'm capable of with 3d.

Peace,

Jes

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#3]
I read something about EntityX and EntityY and z. If I use these will it return the coordinates in a variable or something?

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#4]
Granty,

You could use:

xmissileposition = entityX(name_of_plane_object)
ymissileposition = entityy(name_of_plane_object)
zmissileposition = entityz(name_of_plane_object)

xmissilerotation = entitypitch(name_of_plane_object)
ymissilerotation= entityyaw(name_of_plane_object)
zmissilerotation= entityroll(name_of_plane_object)

ALSO

Look in the code archives, there is a bit of homing missile code there and something called SUPERCAM check it out for camera following objects!

Don't forget to visit www.blitzcoder.com also - a very useful site for information.

For collisions use entitytype, entityradius and collisions commands;

global plane =loadmesh("plane.b3d")
entitytype plane,1
entityradius plane,1

global missile=loadmesh("missile.b3d")
entitytype missile,2
entityradius missile,1

collisions 2,1,1,1 ; check out this command in docs. for fuller explanation

You will also need entitycollide command.

Hope this helps a bit!

IPete2.

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks! I think that's everything I need to know! I was planning on doing some homing missiles, so thanks for that too.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#6]
There's a Homing Missile code in the Code Archives (at lewast... there was... )