How DO you get good graphics??

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/How DO you get good graphics??

Blitz123(Posted 2005) [#1]
I would just like to ask,as a beginer in proggraming,how do you make cool/good/quality graphics for games? It looks hard.

GfK(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hire an artist, is the best way.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#3]
It's no secret...

1: You have to have talent.
2: Get the right tools.
3: Practice Practice Practice.

GfK(Posted 2005) [#4]
You forgot number 4 - Realise you're crap at it and hire an artist like you should have done in the first place.

I speak from personal experience.

:)

JBR(Posted 2005) [#5]
How do you go about hiring an artist?

Marg

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#6]
Ditto ... but I hear Rolf has a bit of spare time on his hands!!

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#7]
Pop onto IRC at some point. There are a few artists on there. Or post on these boards for help :o)

Gord(Posted 2005) [#8]
If the games are written for your own pleasure and not commercial do not waste money getting an artist. Get a good 3d design package like Silo or 3ds Max and have a go yourself. It is more fun that way.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#9]
If the games are written for your own pleasure and not commercial do not waste money getting an artist. Get a good 3d design package like Silo or 3ds Max and have a go yourself.

Yes, don't waste a few hundred dollars on an artist who will create high quality artwork for you. Waste a few thousand on 3ds Max which will keep you busy for about a year learning all the intricacies of it, after which time you'll be capable of producing inferior artwork because - like GFK mentioned - you realised you don't have any talent.

Regular K(Posted 2005) [#10]
rofl

puki(Posted 2005) [#11]
"Blitz123" - nick stuff - seriously.

If you are a beginner and just doing stuff for your own personal amusement - nick every texture/model/sound effect, etc you can get your hands on.

A lot of my stuff uses textures, even meshes, from commercial games. Makes your work look professional - if your work becomes serious and you want to sell it, etc - they you can worry about redoing the textures, etc. For your own personal use on your own computer - steal as much as you can and make your game look Large.

Or, just ignore what I said.

Xception(Posted 2005) [#12]
Everybody can make professional looking graphics.
It just takes a while to learn it.
But with the tools that are available today it's no problem.
You don't need any talent.
Talent is crap.
Talent only means you could be good in anything but you are not good yet and maybe you never will be.

Paolo(Posted 2005) [#13]
I think it is a matter of "where" you feel comfortable in...

I, for example, am some kind of a gorilla when it comes to
hand drawing... but then I feel more "comfort" by
"drawing" 3D inside the PC,... don't know why, may be
my hand is better with a mouse than with a pencil or
something like that... :)

Paolo.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#14]
Pro looking graphics require very gradual and careful work. And particles. Lots of particles.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#15]
Once you've got your professional-looking sprite images and expert 3-D models, there are then further techniques used to create the effects, lighting, shadows, sprites/particles etc. that add s much more to the appearance of the game. For more specific stuff like this,

i.e. "How do I make fog?"

or

"How can I make blood splatter up the walls?"

etc. etc.,

Look here or ask generally on the forums!

doctorskully(Posted 2005) [#16]
I've found that your modeling can be absolute crap and have low levels of detail, but if you put a detailed texture on them, they look great.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#17]
good lighting and shadow goes a long way even without an awful lot of detail. Sometimes you just want to make an impression of detail and one of the tricks to good art is knowing what to leave out and how top decieve people into believing there is more there than what they are actually seeing.

All this stuff comes from experience which comes from a lot of practice, just like coding really.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#18]

Deep Thought (Posted 2005-03-22 18:56:52)

I've found that your modeling can be absolute crap

Didn't think anyone had seen MY modelling!!!

doctorskully(Posted 2005) [#19]
I didn't mean you, personally, if that's what you mean. I mean "you" as in anyone.

Mikeyj21(Posted 2005) [#20]
Like Xception said, if you want to do it, you can. I'm a firm believer that almost anybody can do anything given practice, regardless of talent. Talent may a) give you a headstart and b) be the final difference between merely excellent and 'genius', but certainly doesn't preclude you from acheving professional results.

This isn't arrogance, this is based on personal experience.

The only negative thing I would say, is if you intend to do the programming, art and music (as I do) then it can get very, very difficult to complete anything (there's only so many hours in the day, especially if you work full time!)

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#21]

I didn't mean you, personally, if that's what you mean. I mean "you" as in anyone.

I know - I was kidding - but my modelling IS crap. I have difficulty making a cube :)

The only negative thing I would say, is if you intend to do the programming, art and music (as I do) then it can get very, very difficult to complete anything (there's only so many hours in the day, especially if you work full time!)

I totally agree with this - how true!!!

For best results - steal lots of media as placeholders in the meantime while you concentrate on separate areas at a time.

Alberto(Posted 2005) [#22]
In my opinion Mkeyj21 and Xception go a little too far.
It is true that thanks to the modern tools available today life is much easier for poor artists but the modelling of a 3d human character is still an hard job, not to mention time consumption and different file formats.
Torque web site provide a list of available artists
Why not also for Blitz3d ?

Sir Gak(Posted 2005) [#23]
I have had B3D for a couple years now, and I have puttered mostly with 2D programs. The thing that has held me back from doing 3D is the issue of doing 3D anims, and I know that I can't (at present) afford an artist.

Alberto(Posted 2005) [#24]
I do not think that animation is a main issue.
As far as animation is concerned I agree that everybody can, thanks to modern tools , produce decent animations in a reasonable short time.
For this reason, in my opinion, a good animator software should have a great success in the hobbyest game developer comunity

Plantagenet(Posted 2005) [#25]
Also, if you design your game to only require simple 3D characters etc, you will only ever need to produce simple 3D and animation.

For instance there are loads of games using cartoon style, simple, spherical etc characters. These are great for puzzle games and the like. Donīt be to ambitious to start with and you may discover a flare for it before you put yourself off.

Same philosophy goes for programming, as many people find blitz after being put off by C++ et al. However, after using Blitz for a while they find that C++ is nowhere near as daunting. It is all a state of mind in the end. Good luck

Alberto(Posted 2005) [#26]
Not only.

high frame rate -> Simple 3d models -> Simple skeletons -> simple animations

A human body is made of ,I dont know how many bones , a 3d human character max 15 - 20 .
Nobody can expect to produce realistic animations in a game unless using motion capture techniques .
Have you ever played (seen) the "SIMS" (Some milions copies sold)
is an impossible mission to produce these kind of animations?
Actually some animations can be an headache : walk, run,couch etc
but only a few ones.
The professional 3d packages , Maya etc ,have been designed for high polys models, that's why they do not fully suit game developers needs, not to mention the cost.
I do hope that HALO will accept the more than reasonable remarks of the blitz 3d members and he will complete his "unfinished masterpiece"

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#27]
yeah, blitz3D doesn't really attract a lot of artists unless they are also programmers. And there really aren't that many artists that want to code too.

One of Garage Games strengths is that the community is open to everyone, and not just owners of their products. As a consequence there are 100's if not 1000's of artists, musicians, coders, and everything in between taking part in the community and offering services.

Not much of that happens here, and with a tool badged as being a hobbyist tool for beginners it's no wonder that blitz doesn't attract a lot of outside interest.

One of the big failings of blitz research marketing. That combined with the lone bedroom coder mentality makes it really hard to make a concentrated effort at developing a ambitious project and show off what blitz is really capable of. Most coders want to do all the coding themselves and as a consequence projects are rarely ambitious enough to warrant more than a 2 man team. Real shame as from my experience with a handfull of people here a commercial quality game is easily possible. Anyway looks like I'm starting to rant a bit ;)