Purcasing a modeller

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Purcasing a modeller

n8r2k(Posted 2005) [#1]
I am thinking about finally going 3d. Could some people give me thier feelings on various modellers and advise me on which one is the best for my money? Thanks. I spelled Purchasing wrong- Of course

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#2]
The cheap and cheerful solution is Cartography Shop for levels and MilkShape3D for characters.

I use both and am very happy with them.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yes,

Milkshape is an excellent tool - if a little fiddly to begin with. Milkshape allows you to animate too.

For levels I like Cartography Shop or you could try Maplet, it is free now so you could try that.

IPete2.

n8r2k(Posted 2005) [#4]
Yeah, i figured maplet or cartography shop would do the trick for levals and i had a demo of milkshape (before it expired) and i wasn't sure if it was good to just buy the full copy or go with something else. Thanks guys!

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#5]
Erm.. what about Blender and Wings 3D for value?

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#6]
I'm a milkshaper, I think it's great! Wings is worth a download, I personally don't find it that useful but you can make some great shapes with it. Blenders is a love or hate thing, I hate... many love. Download and have a go.

n8r2k(Posted 2005) [#7]
K, thanks, i have blender and I'm not too crazy about it. Kinda hard to use. I will look into this Wings3d.

DQ(Posted 2005) [#8]
i've been using milkshape for a few years now and i like it a lot... it has a large community too. look into fragmotion also. its a new program that looks promising at www.fragmosoft.com .

n8r2k(Posted 2005) [#9]
K, thanks i will check that out DQ

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#10]
"Fragmotion" looks good for Character Animation. Personally I use "CharacterFX" since I puchased it some time ago. There is also "PaceMaker" (see toolbox), that is free and very nice.

n8r2k(Posted 2005) [#11]
I have got Pacemaker already I was thinking about the CharacterFX and I havent heard of the Fragmotion berfor. Geez, theres so many good stuff out there, gonna be hard to choose.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#12]
If you can stretch to $109 then Silo3D is worth a look as well:
http://www.nevercenter.com/

smilertoo(Posted 2005) [#13]
I'd recommend XSI, can be bought for $495.

DQ(Posted 2005) [#14]
i've used character fx extensively before. its good, don't get me wrong, but its support seems to have gone the way of the dodo.

n8r2k(Posted 2005) [#15]
Thanks for the info DQ and sorry $500 is a little out of range thanks though

puki(Posted 2005) [#16]
Don't forget my favourite chappie:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=68

DeleD

Large!

n8r2k(Posted 2005) [#17]
Thanks, I downloaded that a while ago (i thinks)

Gord(Posted 2005) [#18]
Sil0 Milkshape and Maplet will do the trick.Silo is very competent and workflow is great.But no animation...hence Milkshape.