Setting up mahjong game layouts

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Setting up mahjong game layouts

Cancerian(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience programming a mahjong (tile matching version, not "real" mahjong) tile layout or any links on how to program something like this. I can handle the tile layouts, my concern is randomly placing the values to those tiles.

There must be some kind of guidelines for setting up a board so that there are enough matching tiles and that the game is solvable. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

SoggyP(Posted 2005) [#2]
Greetings Puppies,

You have a number of tiles and a number of values that can be assigned to those tiles. It doesn't matter where those tiles are. As a skeleton how about something like(I'm in work and can't test right now):

The basic concept is there and I'll correct it later this evening if necessary. This *should* randomly allocate a tile value to a tile. However, it won't ensure that the game is solvable.

Hope that helps some.

Peace,

Jes

Cancerian(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks, that does help. Now my only problem is making sure the puzzle is solveable. My girlfriend figures it's just a matter of having 2 pairs of each tile (4 in total) and that if you randomly locate them it will ultimately be solvable.

I guess it's time for me to do some prototyping.

Thanks again!