Handling input for a toggled mode

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Handling input for a toggled mode

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#1]
Any suggestions on how to control the sensitivity of a toggle like this...
If MouseDown(1) Then
		gridvisible = 1 - gridvisible
		If gridvisible Then
			ShowEntity gridmesh
		Else
			HideEntity gridmesh
		EndIf
EndIf

Current thinking is to only flip for +10 or -10 (tweakable) so that the mouse needs to be down for a reasonable amount of time, rather than oscillating between on/off every input cycle.

I could poll the input cycle less frequently of course, but I am using MouseX and MouseY to select pickable objects.

I could also implement a decaying 'blocked' timer every time there is a flip - it just seems a bit sledgehammer-like.

So how do other people deal with this ?

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
what about MouseHit(1) ?

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#3]
In a kind of long-winded way, I check against my timing variable and take no action if it has been actioned withini the last 100 ms or so. I understand calls to millisecs() are quite slow, though.

To maintain accuracy of MouseX and MouseY, convert these to variables at the moment of clicking.

_________EDIT_______________

Here's some edited code from Galactic Allegiance.

very simply, there is a little routine where ANY button-press controls are dealt with, only the routine is skipped if any of the keys were pressed within 150ms...

You would simply substitute in for your code like this:

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#4]
@Perturbatio:

MouseHit() seems to do the trick. Cheers mate.

@Malice:

I know I can just use the search feature for "badger" or "sandwich", but I feel you should drop a few more hints about the source of your quotes of the moment. Some people don't have the time to keep up with every single thread y'know ;-)

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#5]
*Profile edited* :)