Animated Mesh Problem?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Animated Mesh Problem?

doctorskully(Posted 2005) [#1]
There is probably a simple solution (there always is for my questions) but does anyone know how to create proper collision testing for animated meshes? I have had all sorts of problems, mostly involving it test the mesh's original position instead of its animated position. I've been working on this for an extremely long time now, and I still can't figure it out!

Does anyone know how to do this?

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#2]
Someone else asked how to make the animated mesh objects pickable... now I am unsure that the same solution would work but the solution for him was to create an invisible child entity around the animated mesh and that was pickable... SO if you did the same thing it should be able to check for collisions.

In other words you wrap a bigger invisible sphere that would contain all the area of the meshes animation and that would be used to check for hittage!

Look here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=43800

-RZ

Just a suggestion.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#3]
What Format is it? 3DS, X or B3D? When you use B3D (bones animation) then it's isn't possible to get the collision right, but when you are using .3DS or .X then the animated parts are handled as children. You can use Collision on the children as if they where any individual meshes.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#4]
Hey jfk... that works! I hadn't thought of that!
-RZ

doctorskully(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks for the help, jfk EO-11110! (I hadn't thought of that either!)