.b3d format woes

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/.b3d format woes

Chuck(Posted 2005) [#1]
I made a model using GS. By default (and I can't change it) when I save as .b3d format it saves the textures I used for my model as a .jpg file. I was using some colors in the texture for masking and the result that showed up in the .jpg textures was an eyesore. I have tried saving the original textures as a higher quality .jpg file to no avail.

1. I have tried asking for help in the GS forums but I couldn't get any on how to force GS to export the textures as another format other then .jpg for the b3d format. I am hoping someone here might know.

2. If 1 is not possible, is there a way to change modify the models exported to use another texture format, say .png ? So instead of BBB.b3d using AAA.jpg, I can change it so that BBB.b3d uses AAA.png, or any other format for that matter.

Thanks.

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#2]
Try to export it to .X instead.

Or export it to .ms3d

and use ulimate unwrap3d to convert it to .b3d

/Alienforce

Chuck(Posted 2005) [#3]
Unwrap3D is a non-option for me atm. I tried buying it 3x, each time he won't sell it to me coz I don't live in the US. I live in Asia.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#4]
heh, you might try Michael Reitzensteins utility (sorry michael if I spelt your name wrong :)

B3Dtweak it's quite usefull as it allows you to load a B3d and change all the texture and brush settings, including replacing a jpg with another format file.

Seems a bit stupid that gamespace only exports with Jpg, shouldn't be using Jpg's till final build otherwise your going to have a lot of extra work keeping tabs on your originals for tweaking later on.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#5]
The Ultimate Unwrap guy sold to me, and i'm UK. That's a bit odd...

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#6]
Try do it with milkshape and the .ms3d...

/Alienforce

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#7]
Why not texure your model with the exported UV direct in blitz.

/Alienforce

Ice9(Posted 2005) [#8]
You may be able to use a Hex editor to change the .jpg file extension to a .png and convert your image files.

Ice9(Posted 2005) [#9]
Yes I tried the hex edit and it worked fine.

Chuck(Posted 2005) [#10]
hmmm.... b3dtweak looks like a tool which I couldn't very well live without. Thanks for all the tips guys. I will look into getting b3d.

When I tried to buy unwrap3d, I keep getting an email saying that my money was refunded and that the author is only exporting to specific targeted market or something along those lines. Tried to email him but no replies. Ofcourse, I could ask someone I know who lives in US to buy it for me, but considering the support issues I would be facing later I decided not to.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#11]
hmm, unwrap is probably one of the best and most useful tools I have purchased for under $50. Once you get it and have a registration it's pretty straightforward to upgrade. Just need to use your reg code.

You might want to email Brad Bolthouse and ask why your order is not being processed. He's the author and a great guy when it comes to listening to features that the customers want. Originaly when I first started using blitz3d it sucked as there was no exporter. Emailed brad to get about 5-6 additional features supported, got them all added to unwrap within a couple of weeks.

Vertex colours, vertex alpha, multiple UV's and all the b3d specific brush and texture flags were some of the things.

the B3dtweak is pretty usefull but does have a few bugs and not the most polished app out there, but the only one that allows you to easily load a B3d and read/edit parameters and save out again.

Chuck(Posted 2005) [#12]
Originally I wanted to get uu3d coz I was having a hell of a time UV mapping with GS's UVE. That is til I hit that snag. Heard only good things about it but he won't sell it to me :(. Just my luck I guess.

On the bright side, I got the UVE in GS working and it actually feels a bit better then the previous version. I can actually move vertices on the model now without having to remap the whole model all over again. That makes the only reason to get UU3d for the export features. But if b3dtweaks works, its fine for me too.

Does b3dtweak work with boned and animated models too ?

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#13]
don't know chuck, its fairly basic, you will have to ask Michael, he's on the forums a lot, did a quick look but couldn't find him.

Difference(Posted 2005) [#14]
If you just need to edit texture names, you should be able to use this: http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=665

Convert to xml, do your corrections and convert back to b3d again.

You can edit the XML with a text editor or something like Microsoft XML NotePad: http://www.webattack.com/get/xmlnotepad.shtml (it's free )

Chuck(Posted 2005) [#15]
OMG... I am getting more information and help here then in the GS forums. This is great.

Thanks for the heads up Peter. I guess I will have to evaluate if changing the texture filename is all I want, or if b3dtweak will open up other possible creative avenues for me.