music

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/music

grindalf(Posted 2005) [#1]
what would be a good tool for making music and sounds with(preferibly freeware)

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#2]
I wouldn't recommend (in fact Im not sure I know of any) free music creation tools. Perhaps check for demo versions (providing they let you save/export) on the web or free with magazine disks.

However, Im sure you will find that they will be rather poor and extremely limited.

Though for cheap software, perhaps something like this may be useful or lookout for the CodeMasters "Music" series, Music2000 should be cheap now, maybe less than £5.00

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#3]
I don't understand why you wouldn't recommend using free software - modplugt racker is free, isn't it? I know some people that make very good music with it. - www.modplug.com
If you do have some money to spare, go for fruity loops (FL Studio 5). It can use samples, but it also has a lot of sound generators, like "analog" synths, piano simulator, guitar simulator, etc.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#4]
Ive had limited experience with tracker software, so often dont think of it. Looking over that website, it seems quite handy, and of course, an excellent choice at least just to try out if it's free!

tesuji(Posted 2005) [#5]
Plenty of free trackers out there which can produce .xm & .it output compatible with Blitz3D.
If you don't mind slightly larger files (.wav -> .ogg) I would recommend using Buzz www.buzzmachines.com which has supplied many years of fun for me.

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#6]
My personal favourite is Fruityloops. Problem is it is $99 or something just for the light version. If you are thinking seriously about music get fruityloops otherwise i would suggest maby looking at buying some premade stuff.

There are quite a few people on this forum that create music, including myself.

Good luck!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#7]
modplug is nice, but as most conventional trackers they take some time to get decent results. There is a number of new music tools that are made for complete PC Noobs, all you need to do is drag and drop things.

But basicly the Tool isn't the problem, you can find a lot of freeware (eg. there was a free version of magix music maker on some cover disks lately), the problem is you need to get some good samples and loops. It may take a lot of time to search the web to try and find good sounds THAT MAY BE USED ON A ROYALTY-FREE BASIS. There's a lot of "free" WAVs, but when you read the license infos, most of them say "you may not use this sounds for commercial products" etc.

Not so long ago I've spent 30$ or so for a DVD with 8 Gigs of royaltyfree sounds. It's worth the price since I can compose in no time now. (that was the MAGIX Soundpool 2005)

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#8]
Just use the demo of Fruity Loops!
That's what I use, and I love it!
Its a musicians' dream come true!!