Finding my IP address.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Finding my IP address.

Farflame(Posted 2005) [#1]
I know there are webpages that report my IP address, but I want to use my computer as a server for my game, and I'm on a router. When I use the webpages, they give different addresses and when I try them, they don't work. How do I find out my correct IP address so that I can use my computer as a server, whilst still being connected through my router.

Also, somebody told me that this may open me up to hackers. Is this true?

I'm using Blitzplay for my networking stuff.

Dazman(Posted 2005) [#2]
You can find your local machines Ip address by typing ' ipconfig' in a dos box. This is obviously not going to be the same as your router which will be dynamically allocated by your ISP, so this will change over time, some ISPs allow you pay extra for a static IP address that will always stay the same (in the UK at least).
Alternatively have a look at www.no-ip.com (there are others) which can give you an alias to your dynamic IP address.

Farflame(Posted 2005) [#3]
So there's no way of doing this without paying for an improved service? Right now I just want to test it, the program won't be ready for several months. Is there a way I can test this over the internet?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#4]
NOIP have a free service.. i use them ;)

Farflame(Posted 2005) [#5]
Oh ya, it's free, I didn't notice that. Thanks :)

Farflame(Posted 2005) [#6]
Ok, so I've registered a new name, but I'm still confused. Frankly, I find all networking stuff very confusing. Firstly, the no-ip site itself is telling me I have two IP addresses - one appears to be my router, the other is my 'internet' address or something. Which one is my computer? Which one should I be working with?

Secondly, how do I use this new address instead of the IP address? Can I just type the blahblah.servegame.com instead of the IP address (remember I'm using Blitzplay, so it's in the 'joinsession' function).

Thirdly, for testing, I'm running two instances of Blitz on the same computer (using 127.0.0.1 as the address). If I knew my IP address, could I use that instead when running both copies on the same computer? Or the new no-ip thingy?

Sir Gak(Posted 2005) [#7]
Assuming you use an enthernet adapter, under the Windows "Run" command, type in WINIPCFG. It will show a window with a drop-down box. In the drop-down box, find your Ethernet adapter. You may see two choices, one of them possibly being "PPP Adapter". Ignore that one. The other should be your computer's ethernet adapter. Select that unit. Now, the second line is marked IP address. That's your actual IP address. I hope this helps.

Farflame(Posted 2005) [#8]
Unfortunately Winipcfg doesn't work, although Ipconfig does, but it doesn't stay on the screen long enough to read.

I believe the situation is more complex that this though. From what I've heard, I should use a router as it protects me from hackers, but it's slightly complicated to set it up so that my computer is a server. Sounds do-able though, but it looks like I need more info :(

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#9]
but it doesn't stay on the screen long enough to read.

Open e dos box (windowskey-r, then type cmd and enter, and you'll get a dos box). Then type ipconfig, and you'll get the ip address of your computer.

Dazman(Posted 2005) [#10]
For testing purposes you should be able to browse into your router to find your IP address, the address will (probably) not change with each 'session' so you could manually tell (Email?) the clients what your IP address is.

For real world use though i think you would be better off not going Via your router and paying the extra (shouldn't be much) to get a static IP address. Make sure you have a decent firewall though :)

Dazman(Posted 2005) [#11]
I've just seen your post on BlitzCoder. If you have other computers connected to the router as well, then put the one you want as the server through DMZ as you said. The others will not be affected. Firewall rule still applies, as you will be effectively connecting it directly to the internet.

Farflame(Posted 2005) [#12]
Thanks. I looked at an example of how to set up a DMZ on a different router than mine, and it didn't look too complicated, so I think it should be ok, and it seems like the best option available to me. All I need to do now is work out how to do it with MY router.....