Legal stuff

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Legal stuff

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#1]
If I write a game, using textures drawn with 'MS Paint', edited and enhanced with 'ArcSoft PhotoStudio 2000', (saved as JPG or BMP format), make "music" with CodeMasters' 'Music 2000', convert the .wav's to .mp3 with 'MCA Powerconverter' and finally, record an introductory, trailer splash .avi with 'fraps', edit this in Sony's 'MovieShaker'.

Will I need to pay out for licences and stuff?

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#2]
Yes - A minimum of approximately $2500. Solely for the MP3 license. While they probably don't care - technically you have to pay to use MP3 format. You'll notice companies which use MP3s in their products like Rockstar games does, have to include Fraunhaufer IIS logos and pay licensing fees on their pdocuts. Which is why many big companies use proprietary formats, and some like Epic are even moving to OGG - because it sounds better and it's free. Oh - and Blitz supports it. :)

As for the rest - no license required for ArcSoft imaging. None required for Fraps or MovieShaker output. "Music 2000" I'm not sure about - you'd have to read the license agreement that came with it. There MAY be a clause in there restricting commerical publication of the tunes.

+BlackD

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#3]
Well, Music 2000 clearly states that the only stipulation is that you mention it was used to create the music which is fine. This licensing lark's a bit pricey. So it shouldn't matter if I convert an mp3 to an OGG and use that? That really helps. Anyone know of an mp3 - OGG converter?

Thanks loads, BlackD!

Id rather do it all by-the-book as this particular project is the only one I plan to market commercially. Thanks!

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#4]
Yeah - converting MP3 to OGG and using OGG is fine. :)
Anyone know of an mp3 - OGG converter?

Google knows of about 1.8 million of 'em....
http://www.google.com/search?q=mp3+to+ogg

The only thing I'd be careful about is using AVI format. Unless you're going to use Video-1 format, which all Windows supports, be careful what codec you save your video in. Just because you have DivX or whatever, doesn't mean everyone else is going to. Far safer, is to convert video to MPEG format, as it is far more universally supported.
http://www.google.com/search?q=AVI+to+MPEG

+BlackD

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#5]
I would use MPeg, because I have a converter for that too, but there's a hefty license thingy attached to that too, isn there?

Is it viable to provide the codecs along with the game? similar to the way some games come with DirectX versions...

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#6]
Ideally you would avoid converting between compressed formats ( MP3 to OGG ) because you lose quality each time instead of just once. I'm guessing that Music2000 doesn't export to an uncompressed format? ( EG: Wav ) I suppose if you export to a very high MP3 quality, it might not be too bad.

RE: Mpeg Movie codecs. Don't use MP2, a lot of people don't have an MP2 decoder any more. MPEG1 is very safe, and I don't think there are any legal issues with it, but you'd want to verify that with someone. MPEG4 is another option ( XVID uses MPEG4 ) but I really don't know how widespread MPEG4 codecs are.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#7]
Oh yeah, Syb. Good point, Music2000 does export to .wav

So Il convert wav direct to OGG, saving space and quality as best as I can.

Hmm I got a converter which converts avi's to Mpeg's but I dunno what version of Mpeg it is... Il look into it. Thanks lots!

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#8]
Sounds easier to make your own music and video format doesnt it?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#9]
not really. especially the ogg format rules. and I guess DivX wouldn't have copied microsofts Mpeg4 Format if it's so easy to make something better.

But now I have an other question: how would you distribute a video codec with a game? I mean, let's assume I can legally include the codec in my game distro - so I have to install it deeply in the system nirvana, or could I simply place it in the game folder, like a DLL ?

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#10]
I'm confused. What's a codec?

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#11]
Never mind.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#12]

how would you distribute a video codec with a game? I mean, let's assume I can legally include the codec in my game distro - so I have to install it deeply in the system nirvana, or could I simply place it in the game folder, like a DLL ?

That's a bridge that may or may not need crossing

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#13]
I think the Fraunhoffer Codecs are free... but they may only be DVD and MPeg4... I had to grab a copy fast cause WMP bites the big cookie!!!
RZ