Beginner's Community Project?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Beginner's Community Project?

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#1]
I was thinking about starting a beginners' community project. It would be an awesome idea, and a really good way to get all the newbies to learn lots and lots of stuff. This is why we should start it:

- So the beginner's can actually work on something
- To help the beginnners learn more about Blitz
- To get the community more involved

If you are already working on another project, that's OK - this project was meant for beginners. I am open to any suggestions.

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#2]
I could help you. Let all the newer and aspiring
coders to this site learn types and everything. We
just gotta make sure that if its to help beginners
learn more, a lot of the coding has to be done by
them. And we can help them along the way.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yeah. I just thought it would be really cool if the beginners had a shot at a group project - as things such as Operation 600, Alien Breed, and PersistantWorld3D are WAY over their heads.

But what should the game be? A 3rd person shooter? A second person shooter? :P

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#4]
Let them decide!

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#5]
Of course!

So...any beginners interested?

Pongo(Posted 2005) [#6]
Hey,... you beat me to this post!

I was actually planning on posting almost the exact thing on Monday! I wanted to wait so I could put some graphics up on my work website.

Anyways, here is my idea,... A community project of minigames. Think wario ware, or the mini games that come with Mario 64 DS if you have seen them.

The project would involve many little games brought around a common interface. I would be willing to contribute graphics to the project, and have actually already started on this a bit (over the last 2 days)

thoughts?

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#7]
Opto,

I'm sorry you felt PW3D was way over your head. Complexity was something I truly wanted to avoid. All in all its just a progam manipulate mesh data, saves the data, and can reloads it.

One way or another you will find yourself in need or writing an Editor of some sort for your game no matter the genre, no matter if its 2D or 3D, no matter how simple or complex.

You have my support and you know where to find me.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#8]
Here's a start for you. I wrote this to help out some people so it's heavily commented.

I would suggest with this a JetPac game could be written as this would be a good basis for it.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#9]
Yeah - a bunch of minigames would be cool.

Simple minigames, of course.

And thanks for your contribution, Rob.

Pongo(Posted 2005) [#10]

Pongo(Posted 2005) [#11]

SoggyP(Posted 2005) [#12]
Greetings Puppies,

He He He! I had the same idea too and posted on the 3d programming forum before reading here.

Personally, as I said in the other post, I think perhaps there should be a set of games, perhaps in their own forum, where people can join in as they want. Not so much a community project, more 'community development guidance'.

I like the idea of reusable code and structures, but instead of the usual(?) way of discarding code when an improvement is made keep the previous code and give an explanation as to why the alternative has been used.

I think, maybe, that a few simple games should be chosen - Space Invaders, Frogger and, oh yeah, Jetpac. Perhaps even have different projects for different levels of competency so have the ones above for beginners, then perhaps a platform and a racing game, then a basic trading and a dungeon game, then a networked game, FPS, etc, so that everyone can get involved at some level.

Also, it might be good as a showcase for peoples tools(fnaar, fnaar) so that we could have a dungeon game and sswift might say "Hey check it out with my shadow system" - the tools shouldn't necessarily be an integral part of the game but just an aside as seeing them work in practice might persuade people to buy those tools (or take advantage of sswift generosity ;0) )

Anyway, those are my two cents worth.

Peace,

Jes

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#13]
That was what I was trying to get across. :)

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#14]
If I still got it somewhere, Il dig out the source for Fluxxians. It's space invaders, but contains different player ships, difficulty levels, a high-score table and extra-life bonuses.