maplet problems

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/maplet problems

grindalf(Posted 2005) [#1]
i downloaded the maplet demo but when i tried to use it it said that there was an error and that maplet had to close.

so i downloaded the full version but i get the same error.

does anyone have a clue why this is(i tried reinstaling it)

and is it worth having, at the moment i use deled.

any help would be apreiciated.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#2]
Try rebooting and try again.

I don't know if maplet is worth having as I don't use it. Others use it so it must be of some use! BTW, you do know maplet is for building levels and isn't a modeling app like Deled, right?

grindalf(Posted 2005) [#3]
i tried rebooting with no sucsess, and yeah i know, but i've been useing deled for making levels i find it works fine.

cermit(Posted 2005) [#4]
Maplet is pretty good, i like the lightmapping feature. I got the same error after i installed lots of updates from m$. Maybe Service pack 2 fixes that stuff couse i didnt install it yet. And Service pack 1 got error-ed and i cant reinstall it or anything, that might be the problem as well i dont know.

grindalf(Posted 2005) [#5]
ill try service pack 2 and let you know if it works.
thanks.

grindalf(Posted 2005) [#6]
ok i'll sound realy stupid with this one but i can't find service pack 2, where is it

Dazman(Posted 2005) [#7]
I think cermit meant SP2 for XP, available from the Microsoft site.
To be honest i wouldn't use it myself, it can cause more problems than it solves!

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en

Its a rather hefty 273Mb...............

cermit(Posted 2005) [#8]
yeah. sorry, should have said sp2 for xp...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#9]
you can get this SP2 for XP for free on a CD in many shops, as well as on a lot of magazines. But as Dazman said, it may produce problems with a lot of applications. Especially complex tools that are not mainstream products. But at least it includes all the security patches of XP (more than 50 I guess) and some of them are fatal security holes. Byside some 3rd party app incompatibilities of SP2, it will also add some new spy-functions that will watch you, the user, but there are already some little tools around to turn them off.

But infact I think it's amazing that you try/need(?) to install a 273MB OS Update to make a little App like Maplet work. I guess you may be able to solve it much easier.

AFAIK you can use some settigs for each EXE individually, one of them is the socalled "compatibility Mode", did you try that? And there is an other issue with DirectX, what's your version? Latest is 9.0c, and it feels like DX loses
more and more its compatibility to older stuff (And Maplet uses old DX functions AFAIK). Unfortunately it isn't easy to downgrade DirectX, Microsoft even says it's impossible, so you need to use some extra tools. I did this on a WinME lately, pretty successfully, from DX9.0b to DX7 (and now I can install 8.01 or 9.0a if I want), I described it in a thread in the Blitz3D Programming Section of this forum ("DirectX Problem" or something similar).

Worst case scenario would be to use BOCHS Hardware Enviroment Emulation and run Win98 inside Bochs, and start it from there :)

But anyway, could you describe the error message a bit more precise? Is it a Windows message, or is the message created by Maplet? Is there a details button? Does it say where exactly the error happened (in a DLL)?

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#10]
Service Pack 2 is only 270mb if you want to deploy it on a network. If you only want it for one or two machines, it's 80mb and it's in Windows Updates.

I tend to agree with Dazman that it's a complete waste of time, however, as Maplet is an old program and could not possibly require it, but I suppose anything is worth a shot if you're desperate.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#11]
I'd suspect it's to do with OpenGL support in the graphics driver. Is there a more recent one you can try?

cermit(Posted 2005) [#12]
BlitzSupport is probaly right. Sorry about that, shouldn't try to help people when im not sure im right.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#13]
Now once and for all times, please explain me is Maplet using DirectX or OpenGL ?!??!?! I think I remember Mark said it's using DX !? (Or is it probably using both? Maybe that's the problem?)

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#14]
All this time I just thought Maplet was Maplet.