Whats the best movie type to use?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Whats the best movie type to use?

D_Town_Tony(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'm using movies for the intro, cut scenes, etc.. in my game, what's the best type to use, or is there any real differance?

GfK(Posted 2005) [#2]
Stick with MPEG1 if you don't want to run into codec/compatibility issues.

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#3]
Animated GIFs if you don't want to run into MPEG1 problems.

But seriously - anyone here know how much it costs to license Bink?

Edit: Just found out.. $1995 for one-site, unlimited products license, which is actually a really good price considering the product. If you want the SDK it'll set you back $5000.. but mmm. Most people don't want an SDK.. they just want a DLL. :) Or if you want 8-bit video instead of 24-bit.. Smacker goes for $1495.
http://www.radgametools.com/sales.htm

+BlackD

morduun(Posted 2005) [#4]
GfK's absolutely spot on. I'd add: avoid Quicktimes entirely (depending on a MS solution to play an Apple format is a recipe for disaster). But anyway, stick with MPEG-1.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#5]
What's Bink?

What if I use a completely different tool to create an MPEG, how does licensing work and stuff?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#6]
it depends on the distribution method of your game. if it's a cd, then use cinepak avi with best quality settings. this codec is supported by all windows versions.

If you want to distribute it online, you better use MPEG1, but even there are some incompatibilities, as I painfully experienced some time ago.

An other method would be to include the codec into the game distro, so the user may install it if it doesn't work. But I have no idea what codec could be distributed legally.