what is the best way for gravity

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/what is the best way for gravity

Rubiks14(Posted 2004) [#1]
yes i know i have been posting alot and yes i know that i posted it in another forum (but it was the wrong one)but i'm just starting and i can't figure out some of these things but anyway what is the best way for gravity u could give me an example or if there is a tutorial i don't know about that will work too

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#2]
Just have your thing you want to be 'gravitized' (I know... It's not a word... but bear with me... and if you don't understand the meaning... its 'to be applied with gravity' :o) ok...) and make it move down everytime. Put '' MoveEntity guy,0,Gravity_speed#,0 '' into your code in the main loop. Do you also need help with collisions? So if he goes down, like I said, he wont fly through the ground? If so, feel free to ask in this thread and I'll get a demo working for you with your gravity and collisions.

Rubiks14(Posted 2004) [#3]
i tried that and i can't get it to work, can u just make the example for me that will help
thanks, Rubiks14

p.s here is my sourcecode so u can try to make it fit in

;graphics 
Graphics3D 800,600
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

;GLOBALS
Global x#,y#,z#,terra_y#

;collision groups
Global SCENERY = 1
Global PLAYER = 2

;light
Global light = CreateLight()
RotateEntity light, 90,0,0

;CAMERA PIVOT
camera_pivot= CreatePivot()
EntityRadius camera_pivot,1.4
EntityType camera_pivot,PLAYER

;CAMERA
Global camera = CreateCamera(camera_pivot)
CameraRange camera,1,1000
CameraFogMode camera,1
CameraFogRange camera,160,200

;SKY
Global sky = CreateSphere(16,camera_pivot)
FlipMesh sky
ScaleEntity sky,100,100,100
PositionEntity sky, 0,50,0
sky_tex = LoadTexture("sky.bmp")
EntityTexture sky,sky_tex

;TERRAIN
Global terrain = LoadTerrain("height2.jpg")
TerrainDetail terrain,2500,True
ScaleEntity terrain, 3,100,3
PositionEntity terrain,-1000,0,-530
ter_tex = LoadTexture("mossyground.bmp")
EntityTexture terrain,ter_tex
EntityRadius terrain,0.2
EntityType terrain,SCENERY

;main loop
While Not KeyHit(1)
; use the mouse to look around
TurnEntity camera_pivot,0,-MouseXSpeed()/5,0
TurnEntity camera_pivot,MouseYSpeed()/5,0,0 
RotateEntity camera_pivot, EntityPitch#(camera_pivot),EntityYaw#(camera_pivot),0
RotateEntity camera_pivot,EntityPitch#(camera_pivot),EntityYaw#(camera_pivot),0
MoveMouse GraphicsWidth()/2, GraphicsHeight()/2
; use the w,a,s,d or arrow keys for walking and strafing
If KeyDown(17) Or KeyDown(200) MoveEntity camera_pivot,0,0,0.10
If KeyDown(31) Or KeyDown(208) MoveEntity camera_pivot,0,0,-0.10
If KeyDown(30) Or KeyDown(203) MoveEntity camera_pivot,-0.10,0,0
If KeyDown(32) Or KeyDown(205) MoveEntity camera_pivot,0.10,0,0

x#=EntityX(camera_pivot)
y#=EntityY(camera_pivot)
z#=EntityZ(camera_pivot)

UpdateWorld

terra_y#=TerrainY(terrain,x#,y#,z#)+2.0
PositionEntity camera_pivot,x#,terra_y#,z#

RenderWorld
Flip
Wend
End

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#4]
I beleive by using this code that you wrote, you are trying to align the player to the terrain using the following command. Right?
PositionEntity camera_pivot,x#,terra_y#,z#

What do you need gravity for if the player is always aligned to the terrain? There is no need for it...

I don't know... if I'm wrong, sorry... its 2:30 in the morning... 4 hours until I wake up from sleeping... so I'm very tired... And I don't think straight when I'm tired... ok... hope that was right. I need to go to bed... or maybe I should work on my physics simulator/editor... hmmmm... tough desicion... probably sleep... don't want to mess it up because I fall asleep on the keyboard and delete my files... and then have my drool from me sleeping get in the keyboard and have the keyboard electrucute me.... :P

Rubiks14(Posted 2004) [#5]
well i thought that u had to have gravity to bring someone down from a jump

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#6]
Derek, did you ever take a look at my basic FPS code at my website? It has some basic gravity in it (but not jumping, but that's not too hard to add).

http://home.cmit.net/rwolbeck/programmingtutorial

Rubiks14(Posted 2004) [#7]
yea some but i couldn't really understand some of it, i'll look over it again....i now no y i didn't because since i didn't have the latest version of blitz3d it wouldn't let me run it but now it does and i can understand it better

TomToad(Posted 2004) [#8]
Rubiks, you basically need a speed and acceleration factor. You add the acceleration to the speed and the speed to the y to simulate a jump. Here is some code I'm typing off the top of my head so probably wont work as-is, but should give you the general idea.

speed# = 10 ;these will change depending on the level, scale
accel# = -.5 ;what's jumping, etc...

while not keydown(1)
 if jump = true
  y# = y# + speed#
  speed# = speed# + accel#
  if y# < terra_y# 
   y# = terra_y#
   jump = false
  end if
 end if
 PositionEntity camera,x#,y#,z#
 RenderWorld
 Flip
Wend

starfox(Posted 2004) [#9]
or...

local yforce#
local gravity#=.1

while not keydown(1)
if keyhit(57) ;Jump
yforce = 20
endif

if entitycollided(entity)
yforce = 0
endif

yforce = yforce - gravity

moveentity(entity,0,yforce,0)

updateworld
renderworld
flip
wend

Perfecto Jump!

Rubiks14(Posted 2004) [#10]
i've tried doing something like both of those and my camera will just barely jump i mean like just enough to notice it's goin up

TomToad(Posted 2004) [#11]
You need to fiddle with the values a bit. If you are not jumping high enough, try decreasing the effect of gravity. If your jumps are too slow, try increasing the initial velocity. Just mess with those two values til you get something that looks good.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#12]
what is the best way for gravity
Um, down. :)

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#13]
*RossC steals a wheelbarrow full of beer from Gfk, then runs into the night!

Also, the best way for gravity is down, so i agree with Gfk :D (he knows all about gravity)

TomToad(Posted 2005) [#14]
So, if a big hole was drilled all the way through the center of the earth to the other side, then you jumped into the hole, what would happen? Would you eventually come out the other side? Would you end up suspended in the center of the earth? Let's assume you have a heat resistent, pressurized suit on so buring up on magma or being crushed to death won't happen.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#15]
The hole could never be dug, because it would cause a volcano to appear.

DJWoodgate(Posted 2005) [#16]
If the centre of the earth were hollow and of uniform density then you would you be weightless at the exact centre? Or would you be effected by the pull of the moon? And if the moon would suddenly dissapear when would we notice? Immediately, or a fraction of a second later? What is the speed of a graviton? Does a graviton exist?

Who knows? Who cares? As long as down is down I am happy (as long as I am not over TomToads hole of course). Hey, Toad in the hole, (yum)!

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#17]
I'd imagine there must be a time between that. I think everything travels at some speed or other. :o)