OSA Kit is done (Play your game online)

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/OSA Kit is done (Play your game online)

Sphinx(Posted 2004) [#1]
My OSA Kit is done and you can find more info here http://www.osakit.com (Only works with Internet Explorer and Ccompatibles)

I need your opinons, tests, bugs and suggestions before I start marketing.

Off topic : I did not know where to create this thread!! Old forums rocks and this one sucks!

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2004) [#2]
A nice tool, but a bit to expensive for me at the moment.

Panno(Posted 2004) [#3]
cool creation sphinx ; Congrats

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#4]
Is this BVM?

Sphinx(Posted 2004) [#5]
ActiveX!

Amon_old(Posted 2004) [#6]
I think this is nice and have no complaints on it so far. I think the licenses are a bit too expensive but then again if your a serious indy developer this wouldnt be an issue.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#7]
Well marketing is one thing, but claiming that

3- More than 50% of internet users are on broadband and others are on high speed connections (dialup users are not so much compared to fast connection users). So it does not make any difference for the user, it is a snap!

is just plain wrong. Around 25% maybe, and that's a top end estimate.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#8]
Last I heard it was about 7%

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#9]
Here is one study that indicates that broadband connections are actually more common in the US than dialup - and the US is where the majority of your customers will likey be.

Sphinx(Posted 2004) [#10]
http://steampowered.com/status/survey.html

skn3(Posted 2004) [#11]
Sphinx, that is because steam is a client designed for broadband users.

It would be like taking a survey to see how many people use pcs, from a bunch of mac users.

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#12]
skn3 - permission to use your INI functions in a project (credit provided)?

skn3(Posted 2004) [#13]
Of course. Its in the code archives so it be public domain :)

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#14]
Jon - Look at the survey I linked to, then. It's way, way, way higher than 7%.

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#15]
Likewise, that survey is taken by online users.

9 times out of 10, a dialup user WON'T fill in a pop-up survey (or even a non-popup voluntary one) because it simply takes TOO LONG even to load the HTML on dialup.

Phone-surveys of random people is the only way to get accurate results. Except even then, the people who are on dialup - their phone will be engaged. ;) So they won't be included in the survey - AGAIN "broadband" will come out on top.

+BlackD

skn3(Posted 2004) [#16]
Lucky for america though as they are one of the countires that got broadband very early. In the uk it is a different story, broadband is getting very popular but there are still parts of the country that cant even get it.

It is probably higher than 7% , but 50% is pretty high.. (for the uk)

Yan(Posted 2004) [#17]
From a recent OFCOM report (don't ask)...
8.1 Broadband hits 5 million
During September the number of UK broadband connections passed the 5 million mark, to stand at 5.3 million by the end of the month. The number of new subscriptions being added each week remains at over 50,000 and the UK has now overtaken Germany in terms of broadband penetration. At the end of June, the UK had 7.5 connections per hundred population, compared to 6.7 in Germany. The UK remains slightly behind France which has a penetration rate of 8.3. The UK is showing a higher growth rate than either country at 17% over the last quarter compared to 8% in Germany and 11% in France.

smilertoo(Posted 2004) [#18]
Might be more useful if the '10 minute limit' popup didnt appear every 30 seconds, got me killed nearly every time in breakout.

Sphinx(Posted 2004) [#19]
john : I was thinking about that.. thanks :)

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#20]
steampowered.com/status/survey.html

LOL. Good one. And according to my survey of FireFox users, 100% of web users are now using FireFox. America is barely reaching 50%. Worldwide, 25% is a real top end estimate.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#21]
It's not that expensive for people who actually plan to get real use out of this. (those who actually have a strategy for it to work. Everyone else will find it quite a bit too expensive :).

JoeRetro(Posted 2004) [#22]
So far each game demo I have tried has crashed on me when I close the browser down. Looks like there are a couple of bugs to fix, but you are very close.

Sphinx(Posted 2004) [#23]
P-Q4 : I could not duplicate what you are talking about!

What programs do you have running in startup?
did it happen all the time you try it?
Could you please try to exit from the game first and then close the browser window and let me know what happened?

Thanks in advance,

Sphinx(Posted 2004) [#24]
I think that the license is fair enough!
Think how much time, money and effor you will save yourself if you want to make your game in Flash or Java!

Also I succeeded to make a tool like MoleBox (no encryption though) which I will give it for free with the OSA Kit package.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#25]
Lucky for america though as they are one of the countires that got broadband very early. In the uk it is a different story, broadband is getting very popular but there are still parts of the country that cant even get it.

LOL. Good one. And according to my survey of FireFox users, 100% of web users are now using FireFox. America is barely reaching 50%. Worldwide, 25% is a real top end estimate.

If you're selling games online, US consumers will very likely represent the vast majority of your customer base, so concentrating on the stats in the US is a good idea.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#26]
If you're selling games online, US consumers will very likely represent the vast majority of your customer base, so concentrating on the stats in the US is a good idea.

Well it may just be the game I'm selling ( perhaps I'll be able to judge better when the next two go on sale, since they're both very American games ) but at the moment, US consumers are not a particularly large section of my customers. I mean, they're significant, and the largest single section, but far from the majority.

smilertoo(Posted 2004) [#27]
The issue is more that i wouldnt want to d/l it every time i play it; the system would be good for demos as long as the final game is available as a normal d/l.