BlitzMax questions???

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/BlitzMax questions???

Akira(Posted 2004) [#1]
I would have posted this in the BMAX boards but I can't create a topic there. (I guess that because I don't own it yet ;)

My questions are:

1. Will the PC and Linux versions of BMAX be released before or after the release of the 3D module for BMAX?

2. Will the 3D module be free to existing owners of BMAX when it's released?

3. I am thinking of buying BMAX even though I don't have a MAC just to show my support and appreciation to Mark and the team for the awesome work they've put in. Is there likely to be any disadvantage in doing this (other than not being able to do anything with it), or should I wait until the PC version comes out?

4. Is there going to be a Media (CD/printed manual) release, and how much more is it likely to cost than the Digital Version?

Thanks.

JustLuke(Posted 2004) [#2]
I just don't understand all the people without Macs who are buying BMax right now. If you've not used BMax and currently have no way to do so then why buy it? For all you know, BMax could be a slow, clunky, unstable, bug-ridden mess and you might be wasting your money.

Buying something that you can't use, sight-unseen reeks of fanboy-ism (is that a word?) to me...

Having said that, I would also like to know when the PC version will be released. Couldn't care less about the Linux version.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#3]
I bought it for several reasons.

A) I'm getting a Mac anyway ... to make Mac games.

B) I want to read the docs and use the BlitzMax forums

C) I believe in Mark's ability to make a killer new language ... I know people complain about BlitzPlus ... but I could tell from everything Mark said about it that it was basically something to bridge the gap to BlitzMax and use some GUI stuff. I didn't buy that one. BlitzMax has been Mark's goal for a long time and so far it looks great!

skidracer(Posted 2004) [#4]
1. before
2. no
3. no disadvantage, our company christmas party will be more the merrier if you purchase now
4. the manual when printed will be available as a separate item

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#5]
I bought it now... don't have a mac. And did it because I trust mark to put out a good product. (I will choose to forget that blitz+ thing).

Kanati

skn3(Posted 2004) [#6]
Can I extend some of those questions

1# Will the pc version be out before the end of the year ?
2# I have checked the docs, and there are various parts missing. Two were:
- Udp/Tcp networking
- SaveImage
Are they included in the docs, and in bmax ?
3# Is the win32 module gui commands, or just the simple file requesters and such. ?
4# What about the event based programming that was mentioned ? I saw no mention of it in the docs (and I read the whole thing)
5# Still no proper RenameFile function O_O ????
6# Can you import more than just functions with extern ?

Im buying bmax no matter what, but some of these features are quite important.

Akira(Posted 2004) [#7]
Well I guess by Lemorts' standards I must be a FanBoy because I just purchased BMax.

Like Kanati, I trust Mark and I'm sure BMax will be everything I'll ever need and more... especially with its new features like OO and function pointers.

JustLuke(Posted 2004) [#8]
Sorry for sounding grumpy before, Akira. I hope that you enjoy your purchase! I will probably be buying BMax too, but I'm going to wait until after the PC version has been released along with a stable 3d engine that supports it.

wedoe(Posted 2004) [#9]
My question may wasn't formulated very well (it was deleted) but I'd like to know if BM is still on track if Mark
gets ill or something like that, or will we be standing with half a product if that should happen ?

Are the co-programmers up to it if necessary ?

I think it's a relevant question since I'm planning to put money and time into BM.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#10]
I think we need a Q and A temp forum.

Here's my question:

BlitzMax is currently $80, if I wait for the PC version is it still going to cost $80?

Craig Watson(Posted 2004) [#11]
What does "Linux" support entail? Will it compile for Linux on any architecture or x86 only? What about required libraries, versions, etc?

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#12]
I still don't see an UNDO button...

skn3(Posted 2004) [#13]
I tested it earlier on pearpc, and it does indeed have multiple undo.

It seemed a bit weird though, undoing whole lines at a time.

skidracer(Posted 2004) [#14]
wedoe: yes sorry, I have a particular distaste for some metaphors; to answer your question, I have been full time employee working on BlitzMax for 6 months now and as well as knowing all the module source very well I am looking forward to getting more experience with the compiler internals with some ARM and MIPS output in the new year.

Given just how cheap the US$ is currently it was a bit of a shock to see how many $KIWI we are earning with each sale but we've set the price now, bit of a bargain for European people also I expect.

As for the Linux support, yes it will be x86 only to begin with but anything running a recent version of Gnome / KDE I'm sure will be compatible after a few months of contributions from our users (any linux specific source is included so if there is some shonky code I'm sure there will be someone more knowledgable to put us right).

I'm not going to spill the beans with any win32 information but hoepefully there are still a few pleasant suprises instore for people...

skn3(Posted 2004) [#15]
Not gonna even spill the beans on the udp/tcp matter COUGH. Multiplayer is sort of a vital feature for a games language. I guess it will come at a later date ?

Craig Watson(Posted 2004) [#16]
Excellent, thanks for that.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#17]
skn3...

Though I'm not seeing anything tcp/udp related either... I'm guessing that the stream commands are what are going to handle networking. A language without networking is a show stopper for me (hence why I haven't done much with IBP). I don't write single player stuff. :)

N(Posted 2004) [#18]
Here's a question: can you put a date to the release of the PC version?

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#19]
If BlitzMax doesn't have TCP, how was bmk written in it?

skn3(Posted 2004) [#20]
skn3...

Though I'm not seeing anything tcp/udp related either... I'm guessing that the stream commands are what are going to handle networking. A language without networking is a show stopper for me (hence why I haven't done much with IBP). I don't write single player stuff. :)

I realised that, but it just seems odd that it is missing from the docs, and seemingly from bmax.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#21]
I'll buy it as soon as the 3d module is out.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#22]
M.R.... whassa bmk?

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#23]
BMK = Blitz Make. Part of the compiler which also has the ability to download modules from the Mod Server via TCP.

Sir Gak(Posted 2004) [#24]
I'm looking forward to Blitzmax. It comes out, when it comes out.

GW(Posted 2004) [#25]
Heres a BM question, whats the purpose of having the global identifier in a type?? arn't all fields global to a method anyway?

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#26]
A method can only act on it's own particular instance of a a type. Global identifier in a type would stop you from modifying a type with a normal function. This seems cleaner to me than the current Blitz.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#27]
Just a note to those with queries about networking, there does already appear to be basic network support with socketstream.bmx (from which other networking streams could be derived) and httpstream.bmx

GW(Posted 2004) [#28]

Global identifier in a type would stop you from modifying a type with a normal function. This seems cleaner to me than the current Blitz.

how does a global variable in a type deny access to the type? that doesnt make sense.
Thinking about it more, I think the global is global to the type interface, not instance. like functions within types are..
This makes sense.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#29]
Since we're told that we can compile BlitzMax source on any platform without modification, what's going to happen when I try compiling a game that uses both mouse buttons, on the Mac?

How does the Mac version deal with MouseHit(2) (or whatever the BMax equivalent is)?

RiK(Posted 2004) [#30]
Well if you know that your game is going to need two mouse buttons then you would have to let your user know in the requirements...

The Mac is quite happy using a multi-button mouse, they just don't supply one as standard..

Rambus(Posted 2004) [#31]
I believe there is a hot key for mouse 2 on a mac

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#32]
I'm saying that if you need to specify it to be global that means you have the option. In current Blitz all type information is global. Maybe it is akin to functions and methods ... not really sure because I haven't used it but I don't see why that would make sense ... as opposed to the fact that currently all variables stored in types are global and in BMax you can specify whether it is or is not global ... this is also good if you want to just code straight Blitz (as it's touted you don't need to use OOP) ... you'd need that option.