500,000 polygons

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/500,000 polygons

shawnus(Posted 2004) [#1]
Dear all,

I need to achieve a relatively decent frame rate (20-30fps)in a scene that will contain about 500,000 polygons.

1. What it the minimum PC+ card spec that will help me do this?
2. Are there any rendering tips available?

There will be a lot of user interaction, but not much in the way of lighting. I anticipate this will run in windowed mode, but this is in the development stage at present so I have a lot of leeway regarding type of PC's I can order.

Thanks, Shawnus

sswift(Posted 2004) [#2]
500,000? Hm...

Well, if you want to spend your money wiseley, and you don't want to buy the absolute top end cards, then I reccomend the Radeon X700XT PCI-E Or the Geforce 6600GT AGP or PCI-E. Those cards cost around $200-$250, but they are brand new and use the latest chipsets. They aren't the TOP in their class, but you won't find better cards for less than $400. Go to tom's hardware to find benchmarks of video cards if you do want to find a higher end card.

The only thing is, I don't know how many polygons those cards can push, and part of how many polygons they can push depends on how you set up your game. If you have 200 characters onscreen, then you're gonna be able to push a lot fewer polygons than if you have 100, because each character has a surface, and each surface causes a stall on the 3D card.

I have a really old crappy video card, that is like four years old, and I can push around 100,000 polygons in Blitz with a world optimized to use realtively few surfaces. Ie, a large terrain divided into sections, with trees on it made from two quads in an X formation. But if I want higher detail trees, then I'll want to use entities so the polygons offscreen get culled.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#3]
Windowed mode will be your first problem i'd think. Stuff usually runs slower in windowed mode. I think it's mostly dependand on how many surfaces you will be using. The specs in my sig can get 500,000 odd poly's, but only with 5 or 6 surafces.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#4]
could always get 2 6800 ultra's in SLI format for a 70% speed boost. Assuming it performs well in blitz much like it does on most other games.

the 6800 and x800 are the fastest by far often having a 100% speed advantage over previous gen cards

shawnus(Posted 2004) [#5]
Thanks, I was thinking really of only 1-2 models. It's a medical procedure simulation, so I want a really smooth movement with some collision detection.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#6]
500,000 polys in only 1 or 2 models? Forget it.

There's the 65,536 vertex limit for a start.

shawnus(Posted 2004) [#7]
Ahh- I did not know that. The model actually consists of several different components (valves, tubes internal & external surfaces) so I guess it would add up to a few hundred thousand. The total poly count is actually about 300,000. I will need to think about the vertex limit, thanks.