Problems with RunTimeError()

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Problems with RunTimeError()

DNielsen(Posted 2004) [#1]
Function LoadLogo()
		Logo_Pointer = LoadImage ("klogo.png")
		If (Logo_Pointer) <> 0 Then
		Return
		Else RuntimeError "Failed to locate & load required image file"
		End If
End Function

If DEBUG is enabled, AND the file is NOT found, I correctly get a runtimeerror. If DEBUG is DISABLED and the file is still not found, I get a black screen and nothing happens??

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#2]
What happened to my simplified version?
Function LoadLogo()
	Logo_Pointer = LoadImage ("klogo.png")
	If Logo_Pointer = 0 Then RuntimeError "Failed to locate & load required image file"
End Function

DNielsen(Posted 2004) [#3]
@Wolron,
Same thing happens with both the "big" and simplified version.

I have located the problem though. I used GRAPHICS before trying to LoadImage(). When LoadImage() fails, the program would terminate and return to Windows. But because I used GRAPHICS before "forcefully" faking a failed LoadImage(), I of course ended up with an empty blank/black GRAPHICS command. DOH!

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#4]
I'm assuming Logo_Pointer is a global variable...

However, a more tidy version would be...
Function LoadBitmap(filename$)
	bitmap = LoadImage (filename$)
	If bitmap = 0 Then RuntimeError "Failed to locate & load "+filename
	Return bitmap
End Function
and then you'd use

logopointer = loadbitmap("klogo.png")

And they'd be no need for globals and the function is more flexible.

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#5]
@rob, I already suggested something like that in that other thread he made, but it doesn't look like he would like to use sensible and reusable code.

DNielsen(Posted 2004) [#6]
@Zawran
Which of my other threads? of course I want to produce sensible and reusable code. Who would NOT be interested in that??

DNielsen(Posted 2004) [#7]
@Rob,
Thanks for your code snippet. It's highly appreciated. But in my case, I don't want to pass the filename as a variable to the function, but when I eventually will need to, your snippet is ideal.

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#8]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=40757

that one, I was being sarcastic, its a trade of people from Denmark, can't help it really. :)

The idea about passing the filename is so that you don't have to have a new function for each image you would want to load, but can reuse the same function over and over again.