center of rotation

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/center of rotation

mrblitz(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello everyone. I have made some 3d objects to load into a blitz3d program that I'm working on. In the object editor the center of rotation is in the center of the object, but in blitz the objects center of rotation is in a corner. I need them to rotate about there center. can anyone point me in the right direction? :)

GfK(Posted 2004) [#2]
Before you export the object, move it to world coords 0,0,0.

This is true for 3DS Max and Milkshape - possibly others but those are the two I use.

mrblitz(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thanks I will give that a try. The program I'm using is deled 3d editor, but with any luck it will still work.

mrblitz(Posted 2004) [#4]
Thank you again GfK, just gave it a go and it works a treat.

aristid(Posted 2006) [#5]
hello all.

how can I set the center of rotation in blitz-created meshes (like a box)?

Shambler(Posted 2006) [#6]
Create a pivot, position it where you want the centre of rotation to be and then parent the blitz created mesh to it.

Rotating the pivot will then rotate the mesh around it.

Jams(Posted 2006) [#7]
[OFF TOPIC] Aristides Mytaras.... i recognise that name from somewhere, perhaps the early days of Blitz or DB???

aristid(Posted 2006) [#8]
thanks.
does this hinder performance?
is this how you would approach a particle system for example?

[cont. OFF TOPIC] yes, I was there in the early days of db, battling it out with si for the best world creator etc.. ;-) I also did the 2d asteroids demo that came together with blitz for a while I think, so you might remember from that. Just bought blitz, nice to be here!

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#9]
aristid, you really should create your own new thread when posting new material.

I don't think using pivots would be any significant performance hit. I would assume it wouldn't be any more of a hinderance than an extra vertex in the model at the models center.

aristid(Posted 2006) [#10]
thanks.
didnt think this was new material, regarding the topic title. (still dont)
just trying to be neat.