EntityRadius Problems? We've had them before...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/EntityRadius Problems? We've had them before...

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#1]
I had this really weird thing happen. I think it might be problems with "EntityRadius," but I can't tell for sure.

Anyway, here's a pic:

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#2]
Can't see you picture?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#3]

uppercase file extension.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#4]
Decrease your near camera range. That'll help :o)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#5]
OK.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#6]
Thanks - it's fixed.

I did

CameraRange camera, .1, 1000

Rhyolite(Posted 2004) [#7]
..but dont forget that as you reduce the near distance you may also have to reduce the far distance or you can get z order sorting problems I believe. Your current settings look fine (I think?). Hehe, I'm no expert myself. There were some good posts on this, explaining the whole z order sorting thing and camera ranges - maybe do a search.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#8]
I'll change the far distance when the time comes, right now it doesn't matter.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#9]
I think it was said that a ratio of 1:10000 was ok to use :)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#10]
ok

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#11]
So, .1 to 1000 would be exactly the same...

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#12]
exactly

I've fixed everything - this problem is done.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#13]
"I think it was said that a ratio of 1:10000 was ok to use"

That's probably okay for 32 bit, but on 16 bit things will get pretty ugly. I stay under 1:1000, and usually try for even smaller. Polygons outside that are a waste to render anyway.

EDIT: 'pretty ugly,' I just noticed that's an oxymoron.

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#14]
The near camera range apparently has far more affect on z-buffering usage than the far camera range. As I understand it, the z-buffer works logarythmically, with the detail density increasing dramatically the nearer the polygons are to the camera.

Here's a link which explains it better.

http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/omniv/love_your_z_buffer.html

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#15]
I can't load that page, which I'm curious to read because my understanding of the z-buffer is that the ratio of near to far is the important thing (thus both ranges are important.) That the z-buffer works logarythmically is irrelevant, because the greater density nearer the camera is still being spread out when the ratio is higher. That is, the z-buffer is finer near the camera than far no matter what the ratio is, but the z-buffer near the camera is more fine when the ratio is lower.

Rhyolite(Posted 2004) [#16]
I believe you are correct jhocking, at least that is my understanding after doing some reading up on this a few months ago.

So, if you have a setting which is at the 'maximum', if you then reduce your near range by a factor of ten, you must also reduce your far range by a factor of ten

i.e. 1 : 1000 goes to 0.1 : 100

The actual 'maximum' also depends on the size of your entities. Smaller entitities are more prone to z order probelms than larger entities. Hmmm, or was it the size of your polgons that mattered? No, I think it was entity size because an entity itself is always drawn correctly (unless you disable z order sorting by setting entityorder), its just that entities themselves may be rendered in the wrong z position. So, basicaly (sorry for waffling), large entities will tend to have greater 'overlap' so are less likely to have their 'centres' in the same z space so are less prone to sorting issues.

Hmmm, don't think thats very clear is it? Maybe read that link above!!!!

big10p(Posted 2004) [#17]
Yes, all read that link posted by Axeman. It makes very interesting - and enlightening - reading. :)

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#18]
i.e. 1 : 1000 goes to 0.1 : 100
Which is what I stated 5 posts ago...

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#19]
No, you said .1:1000, ten times what we're saying.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#20]
...That's because Ross said:
I think it was said that a ratio of 1:10000 was ok to use :)
My response was scaled 10x smaller but would have the same RATIO.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#21]
Riiight, the same ratio as what he said, not what we just said. We referred to a ratio of 1:1000, you referred to 1:10000, a ratio ten times as large. Do you have to be that prick who needs to take credit by reminding people he said it first?

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#22]
If that's what you think.
I was trying to help by telling Fortress that he could have the same ratio of detail even with his inner limit set to .1 instead of 1. I wasn't arguing that it was a better ratio.
Whatever, I guess i should have explained myself better...