reading an entity's color

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/reading an entity's color

Chaos(Posted 2004) [#1]
Could someone please help me here, I need to read an entity's colour settings (RGB values) - so that they can be stored in a type to re-apply them later - I have the textures applied to the mesh no problem, but the RGB values are giving me grief!!!

Entitycolor just sets the values but is there a command to read the color values? - I apologise in advance if its a simple command switch, I just cant find it in the help / ref manual

Any help would be appreciated

TomToad(Posted 2004) [#2]
Try using GetEntityBrush or GetSurfaceBrush? You can't read the rgb values, but you can store the brush to reapply later.

Chaos(Posted 2004) [#3]
im using getsurfacebrush to get the texture layers, (which works fine) - i need to find a way of reading the rgb values to store them as im going to apply a base color to the mesh and strip all textures from it, then do a LOS check (along the lines of OpticEvils), then reapply the textures and colors if they have a colour setting.

Sunteam Software(Posted 2004) [#4]
I hope your not intending to do that every frame.... if you are I suggest you rethink unless you only have like 1 object with a 32x32 texture on it. Seriously reading rgb values is a slow process especially on large images/textures.

Chaos(Posted 2004) [#5]
Sunteam - does that mean you know how to read the rgb values?

I have a prototype working without reading the rgb values (in fact I ensure they are all set to white at the start - which I know is the default anyway), so ill work with that and post my speed results.