Does maya .x into Blitz3D work?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Does maya .x into Blitz3D work?

timmport(Posted 2004) [#1]
I exported a .x file from maya 5. I used the LoadMesh() function to put it into my app. While the .x model is not visible in my Blitz app I used mview.exe and the model is visble there. I tried ascii, binary and compressed versions of this .x model. When I used the .x models from the sample files that shipped with Bliz3D they show up fine. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? My only guess is that Blitz will only render or load a specific version of .x (My plugin was downloaded from microsft over the summer). I realise that this qurstion must come up frequently however I did not see a post that addresses this when I did a search on these forums.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#2]
Blitz supports the DirectX7 .X format newer versions may have unexpected results since there are added features.

timmport(Posted 2004) [#3]
Do you happen to know where I might find the files for the Directx 7 version of this Maya exporter?

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#4]
there may be one in the [a http://nebula.student.utwente.nl/downloads/dx7sdk.zip]DX7 SDK[/quote] be warned though, it is a large download (209MB)

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#5]
no it doesn't. I did find a way to get stuff from maya to blitz, via uu3d. search forums for it, otherwise i will try to refind :)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#6]
No need to find anything, that's the entirety of it. Buy Ultimate Unwrap, it can open a .x model (with skeletal animation intact!) and save to b3d file format.

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#7]
yes, but UV co-ords are flipped arn't they? or is that only with Maya 6?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#8]
Oh yeah, the UV coordinates get messed a little. Easily fixed by selecting the UV coordinates in Ultimate Unwrap and using Edit->Flip->Horizontal

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#9]
And charecter animation is screwd?

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#10]
[quote]And charecter animation is screwd?/quote]

It shouldn't be. Ultimate Unwrap loads all the .x files I have with animation intact, but I don't know about Maya and it's .x exporter specifically.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#11]
The animation is overall fine, although the keyframes get scaled. Just put in .007 for scale in the dialog box that comes up when you open a .x file.