Loading HUGE terrain mesh

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Loading HUGE terrain mesh

Strider Centaur(Posted 2004) [#1]
I have gernerated a HUGE, well detailed terrain mesh, in B3D format. The only problem Im having now is that it refuses to load, its only 3MBs and Im sure I have more than enough video and system ram available for that.

My biggest problem is that LoadMesh does not seem to generate an error, the imagehandle does return NULL, but thats about as close to a diagnostic message as I have been able to figure out. Is there some simple error repoting function Im missing?

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#2]
I think meshes can only contain 32000 (32768?) points. Are you using more than that?

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#3]
I believe Wolron is on the right track, DX only allows around 32000 vertex per model so if your over that then perhaps think about splitting the meash into smaller chunks.

Strider Centaur(Posted 2004) [#4]
This must be it, Im at something insane like 86,000 polys. Guess I should use Terrain in place of the large outdore mesh. Breaking them up will be very doable also, and what I really need, since the game terain is layed out useing a 2D tile map system, then assembled at on the fly. I wanted to make it possible to totally change areas in real time. The only real problem I have is where two tiles come togeather I get alot of seems. Im imagining this can be corrected by propper texturing.

As it stands, each tile is 32x32 units on the X and Z plane, and any number of units on the Y plane, Elevation is broken up into 10 unit increaments for movement in a flying or swimming mode. I actually run a LOS function on the 2D tile map and assume any partially obscure tile is clearly visable. This is how I massively reduce the totall polly count for rendering. On indoor maps this makes a HUGE differance in perfomance, even in fairly open areas where there are occasional wall sections or other large abstacles it speeds things up. Im hoping the end result will be real time streaming of HUGE maps from the server ( since Im only sending block ID numbers on a INT based X,Y coord system ).

Needless to say, its very important when designing the block mesh's to make sure they can fit togeather on the edges. Ive tried making large meshes then cutting them up into 32xnx32 sections, but even then, there is alot of going back into the block and tweeking the edges.

A friend suggested I shuld make the 2D tiles actually be Hight Maps, This sounds cool for things like caves and outdoors, but for dungeons and bulding interiors, I don't think it would work. My concern is that I don't beleive you can make a Vertical surface with hight maps, can you? If anyone has any advice on this, I would love to here it.

I should post this somplace else. I think its gotten off topic. :)

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. :)

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#5]
I remember making 'tracks' for Monster Truck Madness and they used height maps for the terrain (256x256). Then, they also used what I think they called (if I remember correctly) blocks, which were cubes that you could stretch to any height, making them rectangular (How do you say rectangle in 3 dimensions?). I think these were just seperate objects that were included with the height map and aligned perfectly with the vertices of the map to allow you to create vertical surfaces and surfaces overhead. Mostly in the game, the blocks were used to create things like bridges, since they had a top and a bottom (you could adjust the bottom as well) so you could drive on them or under them. Or they were used to make straight edges (man-made cliff so to speak), since the best you could get with the height map was a near vertical edge.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#6]
The limit is 65535 verts per surface.