Creating Pathing Nodes in 3D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Creating Pathing Nodes in 3D

Strider Centaur(Posted 2004) [#1]
Any recomendations on a tool that would allow me to generate node lists for is in A* pathing for a 3D sceen? Also a link to a good tutorial on constructing a walk mesh would be nice( as in a series of polys that denote the walkable area in a sceen). :)

semar(Posted 2004) [#2]
I would suggest you waypoints instead of A* pathfinding.

An useful tool - at least, for me - could be Droplet - have a look at it in the toolbox area.

Sergio.

Nexus6(Posted 2004) [#3]
Strider, not sure if your interested, but I am just finishing a small app (based on Andew Pye's A* Pathfinding lib) that allows you to load a level and then place waypoints in first person perspective or orthographic mode. The A* lib then calculates all the paths and saves them to a dat file. Included with the App is a small function that you place in your code, which reads the DAT file into an array, which you can access to find the path from one node to any other node. To keep the array as small as possible, only the next node along the path is stored (not the whole path)ie :-
If you stated what is the path from node 12 to 48 (the answer might be nodes 13,15,16,20,40,45,46,47,48) however it would return node 13, you would then need to ask, what is the path from node 13 to 48 and this would return 15, and so on.

I still have some changes to make to the App which i haven't figured how to do yet, the main one being a mouseover fuction which displays the node number when the mouse is placed on it. Your welcome to it in its current state.

Hope that makes sense.

Strider Centaur(Posted 2004) [#4]
Nexus 6: thanks, where can I find the mentioned tool?

Semar: Droplet is not available for download due to high band width usage at the main droplet sight ( found in tools section ). Would you know where its being hosted from now, if anywhere?

Nexus6(Posted 2004) [#5]
Im at work at the moment, but i'll zip it up and email it to you when I get home tonight.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#6]
depending on the game, but we simply created splines exported from 3dsmax and had the AI follow the vertices in the spline order. Some extra coding will allow you to do quite a lot with this system so allthough its sounds fairly linear the spline only has to be a general guideline for the AI so you can do quite a lot with it.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#7]
http://www.mrpye.me.uk/Blitz/Pathfinding/pathfinding.htm

Hujiklo(Posted 2004) [#8]
Hey massive big thanks to you Jhocking! I've yet to get around to my own path finding stuff and will take a good look at your libary. Thanks for sharing it.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#9]
Not my work. The site I linked belongs to one Andrew Pye.

Hujiklo(Posted 2004) [#10]
OOPS!..Errr Thankyou Andrew Pye..where ever you are!

Strider Centaur(Posted 2004) [#11]
Wow, awesome as a super cookie and milk, time to have some fun. :)

Thank JH for posting the link and thanks Andrew Pye for producing something so useful. :)

puki(Posted 2004) [#12]
Yeh, Path Finding Lib v1.0 was what motivated me to write my waypoint demo - my demo only utilised one bot, but you could easily stick 50 in and let them large all over the place.

From memory, Path Finding Lib v1.0, uses pivots which most people seem to use with this kind of stuff, but I never found a use for pivots and wondered if it was a waste - the code works without them - so I never bothered.