Brief black window when B3D app starts

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Brief black window when B3D app starts

EddieRay(Posted 2004) [#1]
Is there any way to avoid the initial black window that automatically appear (and disappears) when my B3D app starts? If not, is there anyway to make it into a splash screen or something (i.e. specify an image for it to display instead of a plain black window)?

Thanks,

Ed

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#2]
Hi Ed,

You cannot remove it completely but you can indeed use it as a splash screen. Just draw a previously loaded image before you set your own graphics mode, that way the default window that is showing up black will be used to display your image\splash screen.

For example,

SplashScreen=LoadImage("SplashScreen.png")
DrawImage SplashScreen,0,0

WaitKey

FreeImage SplashScreen

Graphics 640,480
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

etc...

Hope this helps.

Jason.

SoggyP(Posted 2004) [#3]
Greetings Puppies,

I'm sure someone has put together a DLL that will take a snapshot of the users desktop. Why not get the area that the splash screen would cover and transplant that as your image? The border would still be visible but it might be preferable to an entirely new image.

Peace,

Jes

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#4]
Been covered completely here:

www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=37093

Lots of ways to do it. Read the whole thread. You can do it via patch, hex-editing Blitz (so it happens for every compile), hex-editing the EXE you want to do it on (so it only happens for that one instance) etc. An example: www.freewebs.com/bass-line/misc/StartWindowRemover.zip by BotBuilder and Mr Picklesworth

+BlackD

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#5]
Hey BlackD,

Could you point me to the part that says you can edit Blitz itself so that it happens every compile, can`t seem to find that part.

Thanks,
Jason.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#6]
you just change the runtime.dll in the blitz bin directory in the same manner.

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#7]
I`ve had a read of the other thread and still have trouble understanding how to change the runtime.dll. Could you give me a little more help please as I desparetely want to remove that annoying startup window. How do I access these FindWindow, ShowWindow functions via a user lib? As you can see I`m lost.

Jason.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#8]
FindWindows, Showwindow, etc are part of user32.dll, you just need the decls file.

User32.decls:

copy the above and place it in a text file names user32.decls in your userlibs folder.
(bear in mind that in my version, all the functions are prepended with api_)