Mirror effect

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Mirror effect

Naughty Alien(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi Folks..me again..can anyone help me with CreateMirror command? Problem is that I dont know how to apply this command on some objects on my scene what i want to be reflective. As I can see from tutorials, its always connected with create plane command, but there is no sample how to do that with object of my choice..in my case i wanna make reflective top side of desk on my scene, and few similar objects, including few different types of floor but on same Y position. how to fix this? Anyone can help?

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#2]
I'm not totally up on the subject but CreateMirror may not be what you want. First of all, I think it doubles the polycount of everything in the scene, and secondly, I think it can only be on one plane.

Maybe you should look into cube-mapping.

puki(Posted 2004) [#3]
Have a go with this thing I did quite a while back:

www.hi-toro.com/blitz/realmirrors.zip [165K]

See ya,
--
James L Boyd, Blitz Basic Support.
The Pixies are alive! Death to the Pixies!
--
Beta test specs:
XP/DX9.0b; AMD XP2600; Radeon 9800.
OS X 10.3.3; Radeon 9200; PPC G4 @ 1.25GHz.
--

wedoe(Posted 2004) [#4]
What's this ^^^ ??

Puki or JLB ???

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#5]
??? eh! Puki and Boyd have fused together :O

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2004) [#6]
Eko - The CreateMirror creates a flat plane floor to mirror your scene. The mirror image is created by rendering the whole scene from a different, reflected view . This doubles polygon count. To have mirrored object working this way would be EXTREMELY costly, every surface of every object needing a seperate rendering.

What you want just isn't done in computer games. Instead games use a workaround with sphere/cube mapped environment images that give the impression of a reflective surface, such as shown in the Teapot demo. By using the right textures you can give the impression of reflective chrome etc.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#7]
Oh, wait, "Puki" just reposted one of my posts. Don't do that, "Puki"... I'm easily confused. Thought I'd had one too many last night.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2004) [#8]
Thanks Shifty..I'mfigured out that createmirror is not something whats smart to do...already try your way, and its working well..thanks a lot..