Type buttons?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Type buttons?

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#1]
I am trying to make a game with kind of fancy windows style hud. I am using types for the buttons. I need some advise on how to do this the best way. Right now I am makeing nine buttons that will be used to ad energy taken from one of three user selected energy bars to compensate for damage done to the ships nine sections. Does that make sence?
Here is the code so far.

My main question is for buttons, am I better off using a for each next loop to create the nine buttons? Or should I continue the way I have started? Or should I abandon types and use data array?

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#2]
Well, you can't use a For-Each loop to CREATE (New) the type instances because they wouldn't exist yet.

But you could go back and use a For-Each loop after you created all nine button instances.

Personally, I would probably create an array of types and use Data statements to hold the initialization data.

Something like this:
Type buttons
	Field x
	Field y
	;etc...
End Type

Dim repair.buttons(9)

For iter = 1 To 9
	repair(iter) = New buttons
	Read repair(iter)\x
	Read repair(iter)\y
	;etc...
Next

Data 110, 300 ;etc...

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#3]
That's an excellently clear example of how to make Arrays of Types, Wolron! Thanks - something I've been a little scared of, but would find invaluable!!!

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2004) [#4]
I think you need a repair(iter)=New buttons in there. You can use array of type or just plain types - choice is yours.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#5]
done

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#6]
Ya I think I will stick with plain types if they will work.
I am still just getting the hang of using types.
I'm like Mallice, array of types scare me, but I will experiment with them. What is the advantage to using an
array of types? I'm sure they will make the code shorter,
but can you do things like work on them as a whole?
For instance in my if statment that asks if the mouse is over it, would I be able to just write one "If then" for all nine buttons?

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#7]
Do exactly what you were doing before :)

For iter = 1 to 9
  If ImagesOverlap (mousepoint,MouseX(),MouseY(),repair(iter)\image,repair(iter)\x,repair(iter)\y)
    ;do something
  EndIf
Next
or...
For thisbutton.buttons = Each buttons
  If ImagesOverlap (mousepoint,MouseX(),MouseY(),thisbutton\image,thisbutton\x,thisbutton\y)
    ;do something
  EndIf
Next

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#8]
Well I said I would stick to normal types but now I think its unavoidable. Not for a button though, its for a ship
rotation. I used the array of type code from above but I get "image does not exist". I think it is refering to the ship image, but I don't know why it whould say that.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#9]
First of all, carier is spelled carrier :)

At first glance, I can't see why.

Run your program in debug mode and add more DebugLog statements to your program to find out what exactly is causing the error.

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#10]
I can,t believe it I forgot to put the carier(loop)=new carier in there. lol
Thanks for your help.