biped animations?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/biped animations?

sec05(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi there.

Just want to ask if anyone has tried using biped animation in 3ds max and has successfully imported into blitz with collision working?

Well, I tried many ways but none have worked. Anyone can help?

Thanks!

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#2]
"biped animation" ? You mean a human that can walk? Yea sure. Best get the b3d pipeline (have a look in the toolbox), export as b3d, and set the colisions in Blitz itself. I don't know where you could go wrong, unless I dont understand you.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#3]
Your question doesn't follow. There is no connection between attaching a biped animation to your model in 3dsMax and collisions. Blitz only features sphere>something collisions, so your source object ( the one that's moving ) is always a sphere. Therefore, it makes no difference if you add collisions to a sphere, a pivot, a cylinder or a full animated biped characters.

So to clarify, are you having problems with the animated character or the collisions, or both?

sec05(Posted 2004) [#4]
Well, first of all, I heard that blitz only support bones, not biped. I tried exporting the biped out from 3ds max but 3ds max just crashed to desktop when I press the export button.

I tried other methods to export the model (using milkshape to export to b3d) but when I import the model into blitz and apply collision (the model and a box), the model doesn't detect the collision.

sec05(Posted 2004) [#5]
But when I export the model out as 3ds format, without animation, the collision works in blitz

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#6]
Well, first of all, I heard that blitz only support bones, not biped.

Biped is bones, it just comes with a lot of extra stuff as well. The problem is whether you rig it with Skin or Physique. If you use Skin, it should export perfectly with B3d pipeline. If you use Physique, it won't. Ultimate Unwrap has a nice exporter for 3dsMax though, and it supports both Skin and Physique. You can then convert to .b3d in Ultimate Unwrap and the mesh is perfect.

I'm not sure about your collision problem right now, it could be specific to Milkshape, so let's see if we can get the model exporting correctly from 3dsMax either using Pipeline or UU, and deal with the collision problem after that.

Hujiklo(Posted 2004) [#7]
Briefly - You can animate with Biped in max to your heart's content. But once you've finished your animations you must convert (in Max export file options) the file to Filmbox - or fbx. This gets rid of the Biped modifier and replaces it with the Max bones and skin stuff.
You then re-import the newly made FBX filet back into Max - you will have lost the softer vertex blending that biped has and will find your model a little more rigidly skinned but it's not too much of a problem.

You should then see a small cube root node at the feet of the character - move this upto the middle of the character or else your collision sphere will be half below the floor.

You can then just export it all as a b3d file using the Pipeline. It should work no problem then.

Big&(Posted 2004) [#8]
You can get a Physique to Skin script from the Discreet Sparks Support pages.

(Its free by the way)

You can just animate in Max how you would normaly with Character Studio. Once your anim is done run the Physique to Skin scrip and then export it as normal with Pipeline.

Pipeline can export the Biped bones without any problem its just the Physique that it cant do, but the above script sorts that out.

I have used this loads of times and it hasn't let me down.