Blitz IDEs?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Blitz IDEs?

HappyCat(Posted 2004) [#1]
I've been away from Blitz for about 3 years (and BlitzMax still isn't out ;-) and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what IDEs are worth using?

I remember not liking the built-in one because it doesn't do projects. And I've checked out the ones listed in the Toolbox area, but most of those seem quite buggy, are no longer supported, or are in German.

Any suggestions?

soja(Posted 2004) [#2]
The best two are widely regarded to be Protean and Visual Blitz. (Did you not check those out in the toolbox? Both are supported, not *too* buggy, and in English.)

This topic has been rehashed a ton of times, though. You should search for IDE/Protean/Visual Blitz. Usually the threads start out innocently enough (same question), then degenerate into Protean/VBlitz/which is better bashing, with the occasional ConTEXT/VIm/Crimson/etc supporter piping in.

PS: Welcome back (though you were here much longer ago than I was) =)

HappyCat(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yeah, I did check those out. Protean just seemed way over the top and costs half as much again as Blitz. Visual Blitz looked okay but I couldn't find any project management options, but I see from the screenshots that it does have them so I'll check it out again.

And I did search for IDE but the search system on the forums seems a bit simplistic - just got lots of hits for "idea" and "divided" and nothing much on IDEs :-)

HappyCat(Posted 2004) [#4]
Ah - I see - the project management isn't in the demo of Visual Blitz - shame :-(

Grisu(Posted 2004) [#5]
BIDE for free.
http://www.enkeladress.com/

If you need additional features u can request them in the forums there. :)

N(Posted 2004) [#6]
Free editors I recommend if you don't have cash to spare:

SourceEdit
ConTEXT (Blitz3D Highlighter)
jEdit (Takes some getting used to, but it's a very good editor)
Eclipse (No built-in support for Blitz, so you have to add your own [no small task, but the plugin development environment is very user friendly])

keyboard(Posted 2004) [#7]
visual blitz is not expensive, and the code-folding is worth it...

I have not used Protean so I cannot comment...