Running slow in XP

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Running slow in XP

rod54(Posted 2004) [#1]
I have an older computer but I know I did not have issues before I upgraded to XP on my 1 MHZ Athalon PC and the
sample programs run slow to the point of flashy graphics
etc except when I run in debug mode(smaller window) I have 512Meg of memory so that should not be issue.

Thanks,
Rod

N(Posted 2004) [#2]
I upgraded to XP on my 1 MHZ Athalon PC

I do believe your computer is slower than a rock.

Assuming that 'MHZ' is a typo, what graphics card do you have in your machine and have you updated its drivers since upgrading to Windows XP?

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#3]
I have a P4 3 GHZ dual processor, hyper-threading, 1gb Ram, 320gb HD, 128 AGP gfx, (waiting for a good pci express card to come out)

The speed at which Blitz programs run on my pc could be described as ....hmmm...'steady'
However, certain graphical operations run at wallpaper-pealing speeds like trying to use the rotateimage command for every flip. Course, it's only meant to be used to pre-process rotations.

rockford(Posted 2004) [#4]
Up until last month I was coding on an AMD Duron 700Mhz in Blitz Basic, with virtually no difference between it and my new 3Ghz machine. I did notice a massive difference between debug mode on my old machine though (I don't notice a difference now, except some odd graphics glitches sometimes).

So in answer to your question (if you are using BB on your 1Mhz machine), there should not be much difference.

However, it's the graphics card that does most of the work isn't it? Perhaps that's the cause of your problems.

gpete(Posted 2004) [#5]
I think the key to his problems is that the slowdown occured when he upgraded to XP, most likely from Win 98.
I would look at loading XP specific drivers for his sound & graphics. Perhaps his hard drive virtual memory also. Like others have mentioned in other threads- I would avoid XP service pack 2. It seriously affected my computer!

rod54(Posted 2004) [#6]
I did update to service pack 2 do you think this is what slowed it down.

Thanks,
Rod

tonyg(Posted 2004) [#7]
I had all sorts of odd problems with Blitz after SP2.
Blue screen crashes rather than 'Image does not exist' messages, no sound *only* in blitz etc etc.
Updated graphics and soundcard drivers and been OK since.

rod54(Posted 2004) [#8]
got a new graphics card (MSI Mx4000-T64) and seems to be fine now.

Thanks,