Blitzplay Advice

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Blitzplay Advice

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#1]
I thought some one here might be able to help me.

I have a simple chat program with a client and a server

The server justs recives messages from the clients but can not send.

The client just sends messages to the server but can not recieve

What my next step is to get the server to send messages to the clients which is fine.

But do the client have to be a server to receve messages as I don't want them to be a full blown one but just to recive from the server!

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#2]
Both server and client need to recieve AND send. For instance, say Bob is connected to the server. If John connects to the server too, how does Bob find out? The server sends him the information. There are very few uses for network connections that go one-way.

The difference in client and server isn't in the fact they send and receive, but rather in what they do. In the example of a chat system, it'd be kinda like this.

Server:
- Negotiates new connections
- Pings everyone to make sure they're still there every few minutes
- Sends messages to all other clients saying whos connected.
- Relays messages from one client to all other clients for chat.
- Handles kicking/joining/banning. Only server needs to know how to exercise an IP ban, etc. Clients just recieve a message saying they've been banned, but don't actually handle the grunt of doing a ban themself.

Client:
- Connects to a server.
- Receives information from the server about whos connected.
- Receives messages from the server.
- Sends messages to the server.

They're completely different programs with completely different tasks. But both have to be capable of sending AND receiving information. A client won't be a full-blown server just because it has the ability to receive and send. All clients receive and send. :) Thats not what makes them a server, its all the OTHER work the server is doing as well. For instance, a client doesn't handle new connections. Its just told who's there, it doesn't have to know their IP or ping or connection protocol or anything else. Its just told by the server "BOB HAS JOINED".

+BlackD

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thanks, great advice I need to get it working still, a bit more help.

Does any one know if it is still in development!

ckob(Posted 2004) [#4]
if you mean blitzplay.. yes it is if your a paying member the blitplay pro update board surreal has news on a new version coming out soon.