Animations with Cinema4D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Animations with Cinema4D

BMA(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi there...
is it possible to use bones animations created with Cinema4D with Blitz3D? If I export my animations to the .3ds or .x format, only a static mesh is exported.
Thanks.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#2]
That's because neither format supports bones ( technically latter versions of the .x format support bones but Blitz can't open these, so it's a moot point. )

You must use b3d to have proper skeletal animation. You may choose to use MD2 if b3d is not an option, and you will get the animation, but you will not have access to the bones for anything else you might want. B3d is generally the best choice.

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#3]
Ie, try exporting to a program that has B3D features. For instance, MilkShape 3D. Export from Cinema4D to 3DSMax format then load that in Milkshape3D and export it to B3D format. It takes a little bit more time, but an extra 20 seconds compared to what it took to create the model, and bone it, and animate it? Thats nothing. :)

Although, in some two-format conversions you'll get errors happening with animations simply because somewhere along the way, one of the programs might not be 100% correct on its file structure - so if such errors happen, try other conversion formats until you get one which works just right.

+BlackD

Caff(Posted 2004) [#4]
I believe Psionic www.psionic3d.co.uk uses Cinema4D in his art pipeline to B3d, if he doesn't post here maybe try sending him a mail? :)

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#5]
Ie, try exporting to a program that has B3D features. For instance, MilkShape 3D. Export from Cinema4D to 3DSMax format then load that in Milkshape3D and export it to B3D format. It takes a little bit more time, but an extra 20 seconds compared to what it took to create the model, and bone it, and animate it? Thats nothing. :)

Firstly, the 3dsMax format is Max, and neither Milkshape nor Cinema4d support it. Secondly, if you mean 3ds, you apparently didn't read my earlier reply. 3ds DOES NOT SUPPORT BONE. It matters not a jot what loads them, they're not in there to be read. And finally, Milkshape's b3d exporter is missing a lot of key functions, so he'd lose half the information even if there was a way of getting it there.

I don't have C4d, so I can't say for sure, but if there's a directX 8 or later .x exporter, you can probably convert that .x to .b3d using Ultimate Unwrap without losing any information. Ultimate Unwrap is an excellent tool for conversion.

Caff makes a very good point though. Psionic modelled those soldiers in C4d, I think, so he must have a solution.

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#6]
Firstly, the 3dsMax format is Max, and neither Milkshape nor Cinema4d support it. Secondly, if you mean 3ds, you apparently didn't read my earlier reply. 3ds DOES NOT SUPPORT BONE.

Absolutely, I was just using an example of the process he's going to go through. I read your reply but I wasn't replying to your message, I was replying to his. In yours you made an excellent suggestion - "use B3D", but he needs to know more than that seeing as hes not working with a native B3D export. Just giving him some friendly prods in the right direction. :)

I was describing a method for converting models to B3D through other programs. As I said in my post, he'll run into problems with animations doing exactly that, so suggested he find a suite that works right for him. Obviously I can't tell him exactly how to do it from C4D as I don't have it and don't know what formats it exports.

Apologies if you somehow took offence to my post - just trying to help the guy.

+BlackD

BMA(Posted 2004) [#7]
Thank you all for your replies... I'll try the way Sybixsus suggested...

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#8]
I still only "model" in cinema 4d, unwrap in unwrap3d, rig and anims are done in Character fx :(

salah(Posted 2005) [#9]
chekout www.binaryweave.net/start.aspx ...

mongia2(Posted 2005) [#10]
new exporter from:

direct x exporter bones..... ecc

http://213.239.195.198/~philipp/index.php

Mongia2