Internet Tut?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Internet Tut?

Lordon(Posted 2004) [#1]
Im wanting to write my first internet game, and i was wondering if someone could have a tutorial teaching the basics of it... or maybe there is one already out? any info here would be much appreciated!

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#2]
First thing i'd do is to look at the net libs available for blitz. They can help take some of the strain and complications out of the way. There still hard to get to grips with though. Currently i'm using RottNett (which can be found in the ToolBox). You basically want to only send positional updates for moving entities in your game. More information on the type of game you want to create, might yield more help for yourself :o)

Lordon(Posted 2004) [#3]
i really don't even know the basics... like how to send positional updates, heh... im trying to make a castle ages game, like an questing game.

ive got 2 programs so far, one connects to eth other one, it says "joined game" when it succesfully connects, that's about as far as i got....

ive got a map made with TerraEd and a model designed with anim8or and basically i want to get some guys moving on a map, then start playing with it a bit....

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#4]
Just so you know, it's a long road to success.

Lordon(Posted 2004) [#5]
i just looked through the network section of the archives, and if there is anything that teaches the plain basics, i can't understand it...

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#6]
First of all listen to ross use a network libary, it will take a lot of the trouble out which would have to have if you used blitz's in built one.

Point two is that other than rottnett there is blitz play which has some more advanced fetures but I am still deciding what one to use personaly.

Point 3, send less updates and use spleens to work out the bits in between this is included in blitzplay which is good but only in the pro versin which is $50. Though it can be done in rottnett it is harder as you have to do it your self.

I think I got that right if I din't ask Ross as he told me

heh

Agamer!

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#7]
Point 3, send less updates and use spleens
sounds messy...

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#8]
Lmao!

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#9]
Also Lmao at my own words!

Lordon(Posted 2004) [#10]
where can i find the net libs at? are they on this site? or are they scattered across the web?

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#11]
The Toolbox - top of the page