Level editor tutorial needed

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Level editor tutorial needed

767pilot(Posted 2004) [#1]
OK
I have seen mappy and a few other level editors, thing is I want a detailed step by step explanation of both the editor and implementation into blitz3d. I want to code a level for a 2d game but am struggling to understand how best to go about it, the examples I find are not very detailed.
Anyone point me to a decent tutorial or even a book?
thanks

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#2]
2D - don't know about 2D map editing.

MSW(Posted 2004) [#3]
Um...are you trying to make your own 2D level editor in/for Blitz3D....or are you trying to use the levels generated by 2D editors like Mappy in Blitz3D?

And if you are useing Blitz3D, are you wanting to take advantage of 3D hardware rendering for effects like alpha blending and realtime sprite rotation...or are you just planning on useing the basic 2D image drawing routines contained in Blitz3D?

editors arn't very difficult to make - if that is what you are wanting to do ... there are basicly two things you will want to keep in mind...1) editors are for data creation and ajusting...2) some things can be automated through procedures/utilities...that said prolly the biggest key point is to study regular basic programming...how to create, organize, develop your own file formats...event driven application programming...database development and implamentation...the sort of non-directly game related stuff that many beginners tend to ignore.

MrCredo(Posted 2004) [#4]
check www.mapeditor.de.vu - in source-folder, you find complette BB-MAP-Engine... This editor was designed specially for BB and for all games, that i planed in the future...

it is easier than mappy - and i store only map-data in map-files - and not images - a this way, you can save disk-space (using the same images for many levels) and BB load this images very fast...