What is BlitzMax?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/What is BlitzMax?

NoBoDo(Posted 2004) [#1]
I understand that BlitzMax will use OpenGL instead of DirectX, but is BlitzMax to be considered an upgrade to Blitz3d or a totally different product? If it is a different product, will updates to Blitz3d continue or will BlitzMax be the product of the future?

Tibit(Posted 2004) [#2]
Ok here's what I got when I tried to figure out what Blitzmax really was( some months ago )I think most of this is still true. -Edited some stuff

ANYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE

-More advanced OOP, Improved Types!
-Mac,Windows and Linux platform compatible (With exactly the same code!)
-Still as easy and user friendly as blitz has always been.
-Improved 2D commands like rotation,scaling and Alpha
-Includes the OpenGL commands set, means you can (technically) do your own graphics engine
-OpenGL commands set will be updated to support the newest features
-Modules, which adds new commands. You don't need to import them they import themselves if you use commands within them. People will be able to make their own modules.
-All code to some commands are OPEN = Pro Programmers can upgrade BlitzMax in ways never before possible! (You can add your own commands)
-You'll be able to stream images/sounds.
-The 3D part of BlitzMax will come after BlitzMax is relesed.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#3]
Totally different product. B3d updates are anyone's guess, but considering recent updates have been very small and very infrequent, I wouldn't expect much.

All code to all commands are OPEN

No. All code to some commands are open. Specifically many features are BlitzMax modules, but others are not.

Includes the OpenGL commands set, means people can do their own graphics engine, better than that of ~Unreal III~

Comments like that are just going to put people off of BlitzMax because they'll assume everything is hype when most of what you've said is true. Every c++ programmer has access to the full OpenGL command set if they want, but how many of them have written a graphics engine better than Unreal 3? Or Unreal 2? Hell, not many of them have written an engine better than Unreal 1.